New Update Ghostery updates

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I have to select block all to make Ghostery close enough to uBlock Origin with the filters that I use. But it seems to block some functions that might be useful in some cases. uBO is still faster, though.
I see "cmp-cdn.ghostery.com" is blocked by Adguard DNS. Don't know what this is. I have opted out of everything in Ghostery.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I apologize in advance since I think this is likely a basic question but I'd appreciate any guidance provided. When I install Ghostery from the Chrome Extensions store I get version 8.5.8 and when I tried to install v8.6.0 using the .crx file from github it installs in Chrome but won't run since it's not a Chrome approved extension. Please advise how to best update my v8.5.8 installation to v8.6.0 or how what step am I missing to get v8.6.0 to run in Chrome. :unsure: I don't see any option about upgrading versions in the settings. Thanks again for your kind assistance!

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I apologize in advance since I think this is likely a basic question but I'd appreciate any guidance provided. When I install Ghostery from the Chrome Extensions store I get version 8.5.8 and when I tried to install v8.6.0 using the .crx file from github it installs in Chrome but won't run since it's not a Chrome approved extension. Please advise how to best update my v8.5.8 installation to v8.6.0 or how what step am I missing to get v8.6.0 to run in Chrome. :unsure: I don't see any option about upgrading versions in the settings. Thanks again for your kind assistance!
I have got 8.5.7 on Edge, we probably have to wait until latest is available from store.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax

Just curious, what page load timer did you use to measure speed of uBO vs Ghostery?

Don't know what "cmp-cdn.ghostery.com" is, but I guess it is the OPT-OUT trying to tell Ghostery's Customer Management Program Content Delivery Network to NOT spam you :)
I tested using the Network monitor section of the developer tool of the browsers.
I tested only one site when I commented, but later I tested a few more. Results are quite all over the place for me. Not consistent enough. But uBlock Origin seems a bit faster on Firefox on average, on Edge it varies more.
Since you're the expert on adblockers, try doing some more tests and test both Edge and Firefox to see if there's any difference that you see. I'm curious about your results.
I also didn't test uBO on default settings so that also plays an important part I suppose.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

So Ghostery with Adblock + Tracking + Annoyances options checked is a full alternative to uBlock Origin and AdGuard? Seems interesting, gonna try it later.
They are all good. I guess it depends on the user's preference. uBO is best for people wanting to tweak, AG is the best all-in-1solution (extension with own filter and DNS to support it all), Ghostery was innovative with their adoptive/learning blocking. Ghostery now seems to use a best of both worlds approach (smart anti-tracking with EasyList like advertising blocking). Ghostery tried to make the move to paid PRO version, but I doubt whether it is a big success. uBO despite Gorhills great programming capabilities is just a one man band operation with a few loyal helpers to assist him. AG on the other hand started as a paid solution and seems to be able to finance product development. So with Manifest V3 on the corner, AG might be the one with enough user base and resources to come up with a working solution. I have not made my choice yet between uBO and AG :unsure: and to add to confusion Ghostery seems alright to :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
uBO despite Gorhills great programming capabilities is just a one man band operation with a few loyal helpers to assist him.
This is my concern re: transition to M3. I would add Privacy Badger to my "concerned" list.
AG on the other hand started as a paid solution and seems to be able to finance product development. So with Manifest V3 on the corner, AG might be the one with enough user base and resources to come up with a working solution.
Indeed, but I wouldn't count Ghostery out in terms of development.

We will simply have to monitor the progress of each as Google bumbles its way into a new era

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
@Tutman

The numbers of AG are usually higher (partly explained by stealth privacy modifications*). What are the advertisements you are seeing?

On Edge (anti-tracking on default) with Ghostery, I am only seeing 1 advertisement (which is a sweepstake from Newser, so first-party content/image source)

*) When you enable Stealth in AG, it changes the lifetime stamps of all 3p-cookies set. When people post that AG is a little slower than uBO, is partly explained because it does more behind the scenes. I will give AG a spin when their new V4 engine is stable, to see whether they improved in CPU time (although it can be measured, I can't imagine people noticing that with modern CPU's when not told that AG uses more CPU than uBO for instance)

I posted a picture of the ads on Newser[.]com I didn't see them in Ad Guard...but to be fair I have alot of filters on and I also did contact their support about Newser in the past.
With Ghostery the ads were about ear ringing and male enhancement and something else lol.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
They are all good. I guess it depends on the user's preference. uBO is best for people wanting to tweak, AG is the best all-in-1solution (extension with own filter and DNS to support it all), Ghostery was innovative with their adoptive/learning blocking. Ghostery now seems to use a best of both worlds approach (smart anti-tracking with EasyList like advertising blocking). Ghostery tried to make the move to paid PRO version, but I doubt whether it is a big success. uBO despite Gorhills great programming capabilities is just a one man band operation with a few loyal helpers to assist him. AG on the other hand started as a paid solution and seems to be able to finance product development. So with Manifest V3 on the corner, AG might be the one with enough user base and resources to come up with a working solution. I have not made my choice yet between uBO and AG :unsure: and to add to confusion Ghostery seems alright to :rolleyes:
Adguard Premium at the moment is the best solution for Chromium based browsers and is future-proof (not affected by Manifest V3).
All of you go grab the lifetime offerings before the ship sails :p

I am curious to see how effective all extensions will be after the Manifest V3 enforcement. But I suspect that something like Ghostery with the Smart anti tracking technology and the ridiculously small filterlist will be more effective than something that relies on community blocklists (like Ublock Origin).

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Adguard Premium at the moment is the best solution for Chromium based browsers and is future-proof (not affected by Manifest V3).
All of you go grab the lifetime offerings before the ship sails :p

I am curious to see how effective all extensions will be after the Manifest V3 enforcement. But I suspect that something like Ghostery with the Smart anti tracking technology and the ridiculously small filterlist will be more effective than something that relies on community blocklists (like Ublock Origin).
We have been waiting for manifest for how long, like 3 years already?

Adguard premium is nice but browsing speed is slower than with alternatives
If you want to use best settings with adguard ( Restrictions) it will block bit too much

After using year adguard i dont see it to be the best for my own usage

For now im using brave ( max adblocking settings) + warp dns

but now im thinking what will beat brave:

Ublock origin + specific browser
Ghostery + specific browser

johnmult

Nov 22, 2012
Dear Kees.
This is a problem that happened between me and Ghostery this evening and I believe you are the right guy to help me. As I have realised Ghostery choice Ad-blocking is like "Cosmetic filtering" in uBO. Today I played with various sites and i came across Readers Digest site. With Ghostery default settings in Firefox the two videos in the middle of the page are not appearing. When I disable Ad-blocking in Ghostery voila the videos. The strange thing is that when Firefox is in strict mode protection the videos appearing properly without changing anything in Ghostery. I am confused. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance I just wanted to tell it to somebody!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@johnmult I'm not sure what your problem is. Why not leave FF strict settings and enjoy the videos?

I experience the same as you if I use FF standard tracking protection setting. Videos play for me with Ghostery Ads, Trackers & Annoyances lists and FF Strict settings which is my regular setup. It may be that FF SmartBlock in Strict is helping to display site correctly.

Last edited:

johnmult

Nov 22, 2012
@johnmult I'm not sure what your problem is. Why not leave FF strict settings and enjoy the videos?

I experience the same as you if I use FF standard tracking protection setting. Videos play for me with Ghostery Ads, Trackers & Annoyances lists and FF Strict settings which is my regular setup. It may be that FF SmartBlock in Strict is helping to display site correctly.
My only minor problem is that I want Tweets to appear correctly and in strict mode I cannot make specific exceptions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.