Git Virtual File System (Microsoft Open-Sources GVFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft releases GVFS (Gif Virtual File System)

"Microsoft open sourced the client code for GVFS (which still relies ona pre-release file system driver), so its use isn't recommended for production at this point. However, the Windows team is using GVFS to help deal with the Windows codebase across all of its many variants (Windows OneCore, desktop, IoT, HoloLens, Xbox, etc.), which consists of 3.5 million files and is over 270 GB in size."
News Article: Microsoft's One Engineering System brings Git Virtual File System to the masses | ZDNet

"While GVFS is still in progress, we’re excited to announce that we are open sourcing the client code at GitHub - Microsoft/GVFS: Git Virtual File System. Feel free to give it a try, but please be aware that it still relies on a pre-release file system driver. The driver binaries are also available for preview as a NuGet package, and your best bet is to play with GVFS in a VM and not in any production environment.​

In addition to the GVFS sources, we’ve also made some changes to Git to allow it to work well on a GVFS-backed repo, and those sources are available at GitHub - Microsoft/git: A fork of Git containing Microsoft-specific patches.. And lastly, GVFS relies on a protocol extension that any service can implement; the protocol is available at GVFS/Protocol.md at master · Microsoft/GVFS · GitHub."
MSDN Blog: Announcing GVFS (Git Virtual File System)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Microsoft releases GVFS (Gif Virtual File System)

"Microsoft open sourced the client code for GVFS (which still relies ona pre-release file system driver), so its use isn't recommended for production at this point. However, the Windows team is using GVFS to help deal with the Windows codebase across all of its many variants (Windows OneCore, desktop, IoT, HoloLens, Xbox, etc.), which consists of 3.5 million files and is over 270 GB in size."
News Article: Microsoft's One Engineering System brings Git Virtual File System to the masses | ZDNet

"While GVFS is still in progress, we’re excited to announce that we are open sourcing the client code at GitHub - Microsoft/GVFS: Git Virtual File System. Feel free to give it a try, but please be aware that it still relies on a pre-release file system driver. The driver binaries are also available for preview as a NuGet package, and your best bet is to play with GVFS in a VM and not in any production environment.​

In addition to the GVFS sources, we’ve also made some changes to Git to allow it to work well on a GVFS-backed repo, and those sources are available at GitHub - Microsoft/git: A fork of Git containing Microsoft-specific patches.. And lastly, GVFS relies on a protocol extension that any service can implement; the protocol is available at GVFS/Protocol.md at master · Microsoft/GVFS · GitHub."
MSDN Blog: Announcing GVFS (Git Virtual File System)
Cool story,looks interesting, but who is this meant for ?
I mean who would best benefit for implementing this Spawn ?

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cool story,looks interesting, but who is this meant for ?
I mean who would best benefit for implementing this Spawn ?
No idea, you will need to look into it. Shared the information for those who do know. Anyone?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I ask because , if it's a virtual file system, it is stored or hosted somewhere right ?
I don't know that I like the sound of this, but it may be handy for someone, maybe hospitals
and big corps to protect from Ransomware ?
EDIT:
I found this on Wikipedia,
A virtual file system (VFS) or virtual filesystem switch is an abstraction layer on top of a more concrete file system. The purpose of a VFS is to allow client applications to access different types of concrete file systems in a uniform way. A VFS can, for example, be used to access local and network storage devices transparently without the client application noticing the difference. It can be used to bridge the differences in Windows, classic Mac OS/macOS and Unix filesystems, so that applications can access files on local file systems of those types without having to know what type of file system they are accessing.

A VFS specifies an interface (or a "contract") between the kernel and a concrete file system. Therefore, it is easy to add support for new file system types to the kernel simply by fulfilling the contract. The terms of the contract might change incompatibly from release to release, which would require that concrete file system support be recompiled, and possibly modified before recompilation, to allow it to work with a new release of the operating system; or the supplier of the operating system might make only backward-compatible changes to the contract, so that concrete file system support built for a given release of the operating system would work with future versions of the operating system.

I really don't think I would find this useful, still confusing.
Maybe @Wave can help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.