Not open for further replies.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Apologies if there are already MalwareTips guidelines on this, but I think it would be a good idea to remind members not to praise/criticize a product unless they have personal experience of using it, or if they haven't used it, to make this clear and to state their opinion is based on what they've heard or read, not on their own experiences. Also I think it would be useful to request members to only vote, for instance, in war room threads, if they've used both/all the mentioned products. I may be wrong but I get the impression some of those voting/commenting haven't used the products.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Well, it is true. Polls are always swayed by this. One can't expect a user to have used all the products/programs mentioned in the poll. Even if the user have used 1 & liked it, then obviously the vote is gonna go to that.

In this scenario, i think user must be required to mention that he/she have used which product and for how long.

N

Noxx

I'll admit that I have voted in polls based off products that I haven't used extensively. This is why I chose to opt out of the most recent Panda Antivirus vs Windows Defender poll, because while I have used it, it wasn't enough to give a fair assessment. Good post, uninfected.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Well, it is true. Polls are always swayed by this. One can't expect a user to have used all the products/programs mentioned in the poll.
Possibly not, but I don't see how you can vote in a poll if you haven't used the products as your vote is based purely on what you've heard elsewhere and so is pretty meaningless. As you say though it's useful if people mention whether or not they've actually used the product they're commenting on.

For example, I was looking at the War Room thread Windows Defender v Panda AV. I've used Panda for some time but I haven't used Windows Defender so I didn't vote. I've read elsewhere that WD has improved a lot in recent times but I don't think going by what someone else thinks of a product qualifies me to vote on it.

PS - @Noxx Saw your post after I wrote the above - my thoughts exactly

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I do not see a problem voting in a poll and offering your opinions on the products you have used,tried and or tested on polls with 3 or more choices.However that opinion should mention those products in the poll that you have never used.

I have voted (A) because....
I have used (B) but i prefer (A) over (B) because....
I have never used (C)

War room now has an assigned Moderator @Inkurax so direct any concerns to him

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.