Advice Request Gmail and the dot?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

surf_worm

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 19, 2018
hi...
gmail treats email address with or without the "." as the same...that is what they say at their support site...but i do have a question...
let us say that my email address is xy.xy@gmail .com and somebody has an email address as xyxy@gmail.com then i shouldn't get emails sent to xyxy@gmail.com or he shouldn't receive emails sent to xy.xy@gmail.com...
but that is exactly what is happening...i am getting mails sent to xyxy@gmail.com...
any suggestions as to how to deal with this problem...

Reactions: shmu26

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's not possible if it's gmail by google. Is it by your school, job etc?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
i do have a gmail account with xy.xy@gmail.com and there is another account with xyxy@gmail.com...
I had the same problem and ditched that gmail account.
You can't solve this only by registering another account :emoji_angry:
I went from gmail to outlook, MS does support . in an e-mailadres.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But it just doesn't make sense. It totally kills security. All I have to do is open a google account with the same address as a high-value target, with the difference of one dot, and then I will get all his mail???

Reactions: oldschool and Jack

surf_worm

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 19, 2018
It's not possible if it's gmail by google. Is it by your school, job etc?
it is by gmail..and my account has only my bills reminders and nothing more...but the other person's mail that i am getting are far more important i guess...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
it is by gmail..and my account has only my bills reminders and nothing more...but the other person's mail that i am getting are far more important i guess...
Someone messed up the email and he think the person email is the one you have. Trust me you don't both have the same email. Tell the sender he is emailing the wrong person.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

surf_worm

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 19, 2018
i am getting the other guys facebook updates and everything related to facebook...guess he registered with xyxy@gmail.com and i am getting them at xy.xy@gmail.com...can i place a complaint at google for this or just move on to outlook...

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Outlook has its own problems, it kept loosing my emails, no fail deliveries, not in spam. I gave it 3 chances over the years, never again. :cautious:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I never had those problems. Guess I'm lucky?
I also did not have those problems, although I find the Gmail interface more convenient for my needs.

About people getting other people's gmail messages, I assume that @SHvFl is right, it must be that senders are providing the wrong address, so that's why it goes to the wrong person.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.