Gmail.com no longer supported on Chrome 53 or below (XP & Vista affected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Starting February 8, 2017, we will show a banner at the top of the Gmail interface for users who are still on Google Chrome Browser v53 and below to encourage upgrading to the latest version of Chrome, currently on version 55. Chrome Browser v55 contains several important security updates.

Gmail users that are still on Windows XP and Windows Vista are the most likely to be affected, because v49 was the last released version which supported those operating systems. As previously announced in April 2015 and November 2015, these systems are no longer maintained by Microsoft, and we strongly encourage you to migrate to more secure and supported systems.

What happens if users continue to use Chrome Browser v53 and below?
  • If you continue to use older versions of Chrome Browser now that support has ended, Gmail will be more vulnerable to security risks and users will not have access to new features and bugfixes.
Read more: G Suite Update Alerts: Gmail no longer supporting Chrome Browser version 53 and below

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Understandable. If you still use XP or Vista, you're long overdue for an upgrade. You should be using no less than Windows 7, and I (personally) wouldn't even suggest that as Windows 10 is more suitable especially with the vast growing technology enterprise.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Cool share Spawn ;)
I think they should go one step further and require the latest version
at login, or bounce them out. Not updating is ludicris and lazy IMHO.
Browsers are the one thing that, if you have half a inkling about security
you keep updated.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Good riddance, I say. Once you Upgrade to Windows 10 you'll have ongoing updates and support, with new builds to replace the old and new features to enhance your experience on newer hardware.

Windows 10 is the first and last operating system for any Windows user.

Microsoft, Google and (even) Mozilla and others strongly urge all XP/Vista users to Upgrade.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In today's world using unsupported operating systems and outdated browsers/apps is no different than leaving your doors unlocked and putting a sign on your front lawn that they are unlocked.
Why everybody has not upgraded to Windows 10 is beyond me.
Unless you have a PC from the stone age there will not be a problem running 10.
I just upgraded a Windows 7 PC to 10(Windows 10 media creation tool) and was not asked for a license key(not a clean install) so essentially a free upgrade.Of course this does not apply to those still on XP & Vista.
There are also other ways to still get the upgrade so from my point of view I cannot see any reason not to make the switch to a better,arguably the best,more secure operating system.

W

Wave

Understandable. If you still use XP or Vista, you're long overdue for an upgrade. You should be using no less than Windows 7, and I (personally) wouldn't even suggest that as Windows 10 is more suitable especially with the vast growing technology enterprise.
Windows 7 is actually more vulnerable than you think, many more opportunities for rootkits. I would recommend at least Windows 8.1 personally, but I still agree with what you said. :)

Features like UAC are more easily beaten on previous versions of Windows, and only the newer versions of Windows have the improved PatchGuard/Kernel Patch Protection!

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Windows 7 is actually more vulnerable than you think, many more opportunities for rootkits. I would recommend at least Windows 8.1 personally, but I still agree with what you said. :)

Features like UAC are more easily beaten on previous versions of Windows, and only the newer versions of Windows have the improved PatchGuard/Kernel Patch Protection!

Yeah but I'm speaking on behalf of the people who simply are not willing to upgrade as they do not like Windows 8.1 or 10. I am behind you about using at least 8.1 but then again a majority of individuals do not like it nor do they like Windows 10.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Sheeeeit, Gimme EmsiSoft IS & VS I will rock win7 all day long,
that's the config for Win7, do that and your golden till it dies ;)

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
what a crock of crap and how dare google and other corporations dictate what people can and cannot use.Google is not the internet and i like to have freedom of choice so thats why i dumped all google services and i now use a linux distro...disgraceful dictatorship from corporate magnets.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
what a crock of crap and how dare google and other corporations dictate what people can and cannot use.Google is not the internet and i like to have freedom of choice so thats why i dumped all google services and i now use a linux distro...disgraceful dictatorship from corporate magnets.
LOL :eek: Laughing at your anger and anti-Google rant, because it makes no sense.

You know Android is part of the Linux/Unix family? So switching from Windows to Linux, you're actually closer to Google. o_O

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
One of the problem for not upgrading to newer Windows versions is hardware or production machines that are using older programs that only work on older PC-s with Win XP or even older versions of windows. Also people's habits are another reason, especialy with olderly people that are used to something and don't want to change or learn anything new.

Reactions: kylprq

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
One of the problem for not upgrading to newer Windows versions is hardware or production machines that are using older programs that only work on older PC-s with Win XP or even older versions of windows. Also people's habits are another reason, especialy with olderly people that are used to something and don't want to change or learn anything new.
And this topic is almost 2 years old. Wonder how you found it. lol

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a dedicated XP virtual machine for running legacy programs. This VM has no personal data and does not run browsers etc.

Reactions: upnorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.