Advice Request Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

• Yes

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters
L

LabZero

Thread author
Just a general consideration and maybe a little OT but keep in mind that sometimes a free VPN connection is at risk as a free proxy.

The maintenance of a free VPN has a huge cost and definitely four or five banners are not sufficient to maintain the infrastructure...
When we use a free VPN, all our sensitive data passing through their servers and we don't know how these data are managed.
It's essential always read the privacy terms and also it's better to use well-known and well-reviewed VPN.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Just a general consideration and maybe a little OT but keep in mind that sometimes a free VPN connection is at risk as a free proxy.

The maintenance of a free VPN has a huge cost and definitely four or five banners are not sufficient to maintain the infrastructure...
When we use a free VPN, all our sensitive data passing through their servers and we don't know how these data are managed.
It's essential always read the privacy terms and also it's better to use well-known and well-reviewed VPN.

True enough , and even with well respected paid VPN services , there is still a great deal that
must be taken on trust ..... eg logging policies , the customer has no way to check .

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
If you are using the VPN just to remain anonymous on the web CyberGhost is a pretty good option, with the downsides of limited choices of countries and of course limited speed.

If you want to torrent with your VPN, there are not many free VPN services that would support that just because of the hassle it might get them in. I know SurfEasy allows torrenting but they have limited bandwidth which obviously limits the torrenting per month.

EmilyPx

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2016
I would like for someone to suggest to me a good free VPN. If anyone could help that would be sweet, I had betternet VPN on my machine and it stopped working, tried removing it and reinstalling.... No dice...
There are a lot of VPN services. But I should tell you from my own experience that paid services are faster and better.( I tried both free and paid ones and the last ones are pretty much faster) You can even chose one for 4$ per moth ( I don't think that this is an expensive service), for more info read review. I hope I was useful :)

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
For me the free VPN that's head and shoulders above the rest is Windscribe VPN
Why Use Us? - Windscribe
Windscribe VPN Review | Consumers Advocate

Very user friendly, light, good speed, ipv6 and DNS leak protection, disconnect kill feature, p2p compatible, no logs. You get 10GB per month with the free version, but there have been several recent giveaway offers of 50GB per month, mainly on sharewareonsale.

siren05

Level 2
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Sorry to say, there is no good free VPN or even ones that are cheap offering unlimited lifetime subs. It costs money to run this things. Unless you skimp out on servers bandwidth and have a few servers, i dont see how this services can provide a good service.

If you want no logging, high speed servers, you have to pay. If you read across the internet,reddit etc. You will find there are a few top rated VPNS. AirVPN which i use after a long through read before i bought it is one of the best when it comes to security and features. Just try to have a look at their client. I get only 10% reduction in speed compared to without a VPN. With free and cheap ones, you can forget about it.

If you want to pay less, there are some vpns which are usually on sale like torguard for example at 15$ USD for 6 months which is i think cheap enought to try but there speed is decent enough, also there is PIA, might be a bit better in speed than torguard and usually on sale at 32 USD.

Check the usage policy before buying.

Last edited:

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
For me the free VPN that's head and shoulders above the rest is Windscribe VPN
Why Use Us? - Windscribe
Windscribe VPN Review | Consumers Advocate

Very user friendly, light, good speed, ipv6 and DNS leak protection, disconnect kill feature, p2p compatible, no logs. You get 10GB per month with the free version, but there have been several recent giveaway offers of 50GB per month, mainly on [edited].

I agree , it's one of the best around.

And I also rate VPNGate ( which is a Japanese University project ).
They do keep logs , but they are open and up-front about it , which I respect.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
OperaVPN use surfeasy anyway.
But I agree with the others that free and safe often( or always )can't go together .
I use sometime operavpn but I don't login my bank account or social account . Anyway until you use https and 2step authentication you are pretty protected against sniffing softwares.

Maybe OT but I want to remember that VPN encrypt till the server : I mean for example that if you send an email and your recipient does not have the vpn, the payload is not totally encrypted !

Better to use a limited version of a paid vpn

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
* TotalVPN
* CyberGhost

Both with either speed or Data cap.
If you are using the VPN just to remain anonymous on the web CyberGhost is a pretty good option, with the downsides of limited choices of countries and of course limited speed.

If you want to torrent with your VPN, there are not many free VPN services that would support that just because of the hassle it might get them in. I know SurfEasy allows torrenting but they have limited bandwidth which obviously limits the torrenting per month.
+1 on CyberGhost, using it on demand, never had any speed issues (speaking of live malware testing and surfing on pages like MT). The time to wait to get connected (countdown timer) is quite acceptable. Highly recommended IMO, was notified about it by @silversurfer here @ MT.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I would not use any free vpn. they almost all log what ur doing. the only vpns i trust are perfect-privacy vpn(first choice) and airvpn. both have amazing windows clients and are super strong when it comes to anonymity. perfect-privacy have multi hop( one server true another and u can do 4 hops) and use ramdisk, thats a big++! and airvpn has openvpn true ssl tunnel. both are almost unbreakable.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
..... the only vpns i trust are perfect-privacy vpn(first choice) and airvpn. both have amazing windows clients and are super strong when it comes to anonymity. perfect-privacy have multi hop( one server true another and u can do 4 hops) and use ramdisk, thats a big++! and airvpn has openvpn true ssl tunnel. both are almost unbreakable.

Excellent choices , the best of the best .

There are only six that pass all of the tests in this recent report , all of the rest leak to some degree ( paid or free ) .
In total 49 were comprehensively tested .

The guy who wrote it and did the testing is the maestro of VPN , a guru even ..... trust me on that :)

He has also written superb set-up guides , and I will happily look up the links if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.