Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
There are so many linux distro's and nearly as many discussions on what's the best, the lightest or what desktop is the most beautiful.

My advice is:
  1. First google for "best lightweight Linux Distro", you get heaps of results to learn what would be best for your situation.
  2. Then start to google for user forums and experiences to get an idea on ease of installation and fixing problems
  3. Try a few distro's using USB or Live-CD to experience it yourself.
The reasons I choose for Linux Lite on Intel hardware is:
  1. The fact that Intel also offers Linus Lite on its NUC's (Installing Linux Lite* for Intel® NUC )
  2. Linux Lite is lightweight & Ubuntu based
  3. Linux Lite purpose (according to developers) is " to introduce Windows users to Linux".
I am not an expert, so I can't tell you pro's or con's of different unix flavours, I posted my experience on this forum:
(Linux - My "Linux Lite setup" to replace old Windows systems )

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 33
Verified
The best for the specifications you have, would be Lubuntu or Xubuntu. but there are infinite Linux distributions. These are based on Ubuntu and there is more information in case you have a problem.:giggle:

Maybe Linux Mint Mate is more friendly and also based on Debian/Ubuntu.:giggle:

Last edited:

Deckard

Level 1
Manjaro is great for beginners. All you have to do is install 'pamac' (software manager) and enable AUR and you are good to go.

If OP want stability and wouldn't recommend ubuntu.
The beginner will install AUR package, and again and again and the problems will start.
Proposing a rolling release as the first distribution is not a serve and will disgust the beginner with Linux.
To add with a personal touch, IMO, Manjaro is the Linux of the one "who wants but who can't". I tried and I was in this case; I don't blame anyone.
Its not because on the Porsche you have an automatic gearbox and electronics assistances that you are suddenly a pilot. If you want Arch Linux, install Arch Linux.
if you master the thing and do not want to waste your time for installation, go through Antergos.

I am really not good with Linux. I play with Void Linux on a Vaio and Calculate Linux on my Desktop. On the other hand, "Average Linux User" know well his business and declares "I think Manjaro is not a good distribution for new users."
Manjaro review (2018)

Finally, I recommend this very good Youtube video, from Luke Smith
How to choose a Linux distro: Stop Thinking!

uduoix

Level 5
What problems? AUR = Arch User Repository. With enabled AUR user can find thousands packages more then only with Manjaro repository.

If you want Arch Linux, install Arch Linux? This make no sense. Why do you recommend MX Linux? If you want Debian, install Debian right?

These distros are out there with reason. To make it easy for beginners. And Manjaro is with the reason most popular distro over a year, because it is user friendly and even more stable then Arch itself

Local Host

Level 22
Verified
What problems? AUR = Arch User Repository. With enabled AUR user can find thousands packages more then only with Manjaro repository.

If you want Arch Linux, install Arch Linux? This make no sense. Why do you recommend MX Linux? If you want Debian, install Debian right?

These distros are out there with reason. To make it easy for beginners. And Manjaro is with the reason most popular distro over a year, because it is user friendly and even more stable then Arch itself
Using AUR is halfway to get into trouble, if a specific app uses a package that Manjaro lacks (because they optimized for Arch). So begins the known snowball effect where Linux starts throwing errors and freezing all over the place.

Is because of stuff like this that Linux will never replace Windows, is just to unstable and unpredicable.

Manjaro wants to be user friendly, but compared to the other distros pamac is quite simple (in the wrong way), it makes it difficult for casual users to install apps (which is a basic feature most users will want, outside those who only browse the Internet).

Bleak

Level 3
Verified
I've tried several distros recently (14 to be exact), using each for a week or two as my main system.
Manjaro, Solus, Ubuntu, debian, Parrot, Lubuntu, Kubuntu,... and MXLinux...

overtime under somewhat heavy usage, MXLinux proved to the best one I've tested, the rest simply had problems that I won't get into, as it is probably will differ from system to another.

But many as well agree that MXLinux is a great distro, especially for older PCs. (tho, my test machine was a Xeon E3-1245V2(i7 3770), 8GB, 7200RPM).

So I suggest that you give that distro a try.

Last edited:

Deckard

Level 1
...If you want Arch Linux, install Arch Linux? This make no sense. Why do you recommend MX Linux? If you want Debian, install Debian right?
This is not comparable.
MX Linux is not a rolling release and it changes a lot.
MX Linux is based on Debian, probably one of the most stable Linux. In the International Space Station, they use Debian, certainly not Arch. A Debian-based distro is likely to be relatively stable thus.
Linux users choose Arch because they can install their OS, step by step, element by element, following their wish. They get to know how it works and once that's done, they know what's going under the hood.
For Arch users, Manjaro is the fast food of the gastronomy. A great dish, meticulous and delicate, requiring hours of preparation, reduced to industrialized, then frozen, packaged and reheated in the microwave 5 minutes.

A rolling release will break, inevitably. It's already happened with Manjaro and it will happen again. Advise a rolling release as a first distro is not a good advice IMO. Even a rolling release like Tumbleweed with a large and real professionals staff behind could and will break.

jackuars

Level 24
Verified
If you care for beauty go with Manjaro - Deepin Edition. Deepin has probably the most beautiful UI in Linux [other option: Elementary]
If you want to go for lightweight go with Manjaro - XFCE . XFCE variants are lighter across most Distros

Manjaro has rose to the top of Distrowatch rankings sinking MX Linux and Linux Mint below.