PD20

Hello all! I'm a longtime lurker here but finally submitting a post. I've gained a huge amount of knowledge from this forum. Thanks!

I have an old low powered EMachines T6532 desktop that originally came with Windows XP.

The specs are 1GB of DDR RAM, 200 GB hard drive and 2.2GHz Athlon 64 3500+ processor. My question is would Chrome OS run well with this pc after using Cloudready for the install? Also any particular Linux distros to possibly recommend?

PD20

[Thanks Gandalf. Any opinion on trying to install Chrome on the PC and essentially making it a Chromebook? I haven't heard of this with desktops, just laptops.

Aggravatorx

Level 2
i have been playing around with linux on an older intel machine there is a program i found last night called DistroTest.net The website, hosted on Debian using Qemu, acts much like a cloud service on your home computer. You merely go to DistroTest.net, select the specific distro that you want to try, and then run it as if it were on your local system. It is the first online OS testing website that I know.and you find one that you like a great idea
since there is so many of them. for me its ubuntu it just works and with 19.10 it will support nvidia drivers right out of the box.and amd is starting to get support think linux is making there step to get gamers with steam now having photon runs any windows game{most of them)and gog galaxy
runs wine i still have not put my gaming system to the switch and hate dual boot. but soon hope the site helps above for anyone wanting to try
a linux distro. mark
Test drive a Linux distro online before you hate it

Last edited by a moderator:

Aggravatorx

Level 2
i have been playing around with linux on an older intel machine there is a program i found last night called DistroTest.net The website, hosted on Debian using Qemu, acts much like a cloud service on your home computer. You merely go to DistroTest.net, select the specific distro that you want to try, and then run it as if it were on your local system. It is the first online OS testing website that I know.and you find one that you like a great idea
since there is so many of them. for me its ubuntu it just works and with 19.10 it will support nvidia drivers right out of the box.and amd is starting to get support think linux is making there step to get gamers with steam now having photon runs any windows game{most of them)and gog galaxy
runs wine i still have not put my gaming system to the switch and hate dual boot. but soon hope the site helps above for anyone wanting to try
a linux distro. mark
Test drive a Linux distro online before you hate it
to editor im sorry for bottom line was caps i copied saying did not notice thank you for catching that

Reactions: venustus

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I don't know beans about Chrome OS, but as far as lightweight and backwards-compatible distros are concerned, MX Linux is a very good choice. If you want ultimate lightweight, you should consider AntiX linux, which is a predecessor of MX linux. The "X" of MX linux comes from AntiX. (The "M" comes from Mepis, which is now extinct.)

bribon77

Level 29
Verified
The specs are 1GB of DDR RAM, 200 GB hard drive and 2.2GHz Athlon 64 3500+ processor. My question is would Chrome OS run well with this pc after using Cloudready for the install? Also any particular Linux distros to possibly recommend?
Well 1G of RAM does not give much, there are distributions that promise to use few resources but the ones I have tried are a little complicated to install and are not up to what one wants. the only one that if I have used and installed has been Lubuntu, with 1.5 of RAM and worked well, AntiX is also fine but I do not work the Wifi for me.

I downloaded Elementary and Bodhi. I was going to use Yumi to boot both but only Elementary would run. All from a usb!!!!

Can an attacker hop from the windows into this windows live usb? Is that even possible.

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I downloaded Elementary and Bodhi. I was going to use Yumi to boot both but only Elementary would run. All from a usb!!!!

Can an attacker hop from the windows into this windows live usb? Is that even possible.
1 Different linux distros have different requirements for creating the live usb. Best to check the recommendations for each particular distro and find out how they want you to prepare the usb.

2 It is common for malware to propagate from a Windows installation to a usb device such as a flash drive. However, it is very unlikely that such malware will affect a linux installation.

I started over I guess some of the .iso had some corruption. My usb is a cheapo 8gb. Still using the yumi multiboot and I have archlinux, bodhi, elementary, mxlinux, peppermint and slax. few more might fit. I even saw a rebeccablackos? LOL I plugged in my printer it worked perfectly.

Pretty exciting!

Reactions: bribon77

Gangelo

Level 2
[Thanks Gandalf. Any opinion on trying to install Chrome on the PC and essentially making it a Chromebook? I haven't heard of this with desktops, just laptops.
Check out Cloudready. It is a project based on the open source Chromium OS. Pretty amazing actually if you want to breathe life in old laptops / desktops.