Good security setup for a new pc

waterfall

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
I bought my new pc parts 2 days, it's only a matter of hours before it arrives today, Id like to install a good security setup once i get everything ready, im no expert when it comes to those stuff, so please share your knowledge with me :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Online Banking, I recommend Trusteer Rapport. Check your browser has no suspicious extensions/add-ons, or try using the browser in Incognito/inPrivate mode. HTTPS Everywhere is a good extension to keep check connections are encrypted. Bookmark you trusted sites, so alarms should ring if you have to login through a different site (Phishing) - not to scare you or anything.

I see you're using Windows 7, so an Antivirus will be sufficient with an 'if-you-want' third-party Firewall.

And welcome! :)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
For online banking or any other financial transactions i would suggest using a different browser altogether from the usual day to day browser with no extensions installed and preferably in a virtual environment.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
For online banking i will choose
Linux (on thumb drive) OR Sandboxie+Emet+dedicated browser(with HTTPS everywhere)
For dedicated browser Chrome is better.

Raptor is also good choice but i think it is not working globally yet, as i see Bank names they ask me before downloading.

waterfall

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
I'll get emsisoft emergency kit for on demand scanning, which free a/v/IS suite would be better to get :D?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
EEK is a hefty download and (IMO) not worth it, unless you're constantly troubled with malware.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should be sufficient for on-demand scanning, for a second-opinion HitmanPro (no need to activate it, un-check Cookie scanning).
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

Free Antivirus, I have used and/or recommend (not in any order) :

- Avast Free Antivirus
- Bitdefender Free Antivirus (registration required)
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Panda Cloud Antivirus Free (toolbar can be uninstalled and still have web protection)

Or try this, Norton for 6 months (Paid AV, but 180 days free) :
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Giveaway-UPDATED-LINK-Norton-Internet-Security-2013-180-Days-Key

At the end of the day, you could have the "BEST" AV or Suite and still get infected. ;)

waterfall

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for the tips

Is comodo internet security good? I installed it on my current computer and it looks good, it's a bit heavy on resources but does it provide good protection? also is comodo sandbox good?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
waterfall said:
Thanks for the tips

Is comodo internet security good? I installed it on my current computer and it looks good, it's a bit heavy on resources but does it provide good protection? also is comodo sandbox good?
Comodo Internet Security is a very solid product, I'm currently using it on my machine. I really like to have total control of the machine, so I have enabled its HIPS, but other than that the default settings should be fine.
I have not really used its sandbox, as I'm an "old school" guy and like Sandboxie, but it should be ok to use.
To increase your system security, you can also change the Auto-Sandbox settings from Partially Limited to Fully Virtualized. Also make sure to install Killswitch, and make it your default task manager. :p

Chiron has also written a guide on how to increase the security while using CIS via its settings: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

waterfall

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
Is Comodo along with zemana antilogger enough (I got a 1 year license for zemana)? since in my other thread, they said that Comodo doesnt have anti phishing and a bunch of other stuff

Or should I get EAM+comodo firewall? or are comodo IS and EAM compatible? Thanks!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's not advertised, but a most Firewalls with HIPS should provide anti-logging capabilities. Comodo's 'Defense+' is their HIPS, partially disabled by default. I must note, Comodo comes with a lot of bloatware. For example; Silverlight (not sure if discontinued?) / Comodo Dragon / GeekBuddy etc.

Another light and small firewall is PrivateFirewall (by Privacyware), now completely FREE (and you can see what it claims to protect you from) :
http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html
(Note: UI is slightly dated, but the program works without any bloatware)

Zemana Anti-Logger Free protects your keystrokes on most programs in Windows 32-bit and 64-bit.
http://www.zemana.com/product/antilogger-free/overview/
Did I mention, it's FREE.

waterfall

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
Earth said:
It's not advertised, but a most Firewalls with HIPS should provide anti-logging capabilities. Comodo's 'Defense+' is their HIPS, partially disabled by default. I must note, Comodo comes with a lot of bloatware. For example; Silverlight (not sure if discontinued?) / Comodo Dragon / GeekBuddy etc.

Thanks! I didn't install comodo dragon and geekbody though, they have an option to customize the installation, so i unchecked those.

gmackhurry

Sep 8, 2013
Is there a common used malware adware package made for a windows 8 ultrabook? I just purchased one for my kid and she is not well versed on avoiding bad web. Sure you cannot protect from everything but every little bit helps. I don't mind paying for good stuff.
Nice web source you have here.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.