Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Headline: Norway is killing FM radio and folks aren't happy | Link

"Norway has started switching off FM transmitters today, becoming the first nation in the world to dump the 80-year-old standard. The changeover to Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) will give citizens more stations, better coverage, program time-shifting and more, the government says. However, the majority are against the changeover, according to a recent poll.

There are millions of radios in houses, summer homes and boats that will no longer work, and only a quarter of the nation's cars have DAB radio. "

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree with the majority, why would you switch away from something that so many people have devices for and instead opt for a less popular option. Think of all the people that have to go out and buy a new radio now, and all the senior citizens that might not know how to operate the device.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Satellite radio is very popular and many use that instead of FM radio.
With a price of almost free and a source of entertainment and news that has been around for almost a century why switch it off.
Radios are everywhere and I cannot see this becoming a world wide trend.
My vote is a strong No!

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
No, because I don't know anyone that currently uses DAB radio. I understand we need to move to new standards and new technologies, but only when it's time for doing that, and currently there are not enough people that can make the switch without buying a new radio. Especially for older people it might be a difficult switch. They are used to their old radio with a simple on and off switch an now after years they also need to go with the new technologies. Just don't break what's not broken.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
my voice is also for them.
satelitare radio is very popular so I do not understand why it off.
strong for them.

Reactions: Fritz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.