Google’s Chrome browser is now 10 years old

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Google first released its Chrome browser 10 years ago today. Marketed as a “fresh take on the browser,” Chrome debuted with a web comic from Google to mark the company’s first web browser. It was originally launched as a Windows-only beta app before making its way to Linux and macOS more than a year later in 2009. Chrome debuted at a time when developers and internet users were growing frustrated with Internet Explorer, and Firefox had been steadily building momentum.

Google used components from Apple’s WebKit rendering engine and Mozilla’s Firefox to help bring Chrome to life, and it made all of Chrome’s source code available openly as its Chromium project. Chrome focused on web standards and respected HTML5, and it even passed both the Acid1 and Acid2 tests at the time of its release. This was a significant step as Microsoft was struggling to adhere to open web standards with its Internet Explorer browser.

Another significant part of Chrome’s first release was the idea of “sandboxing” individual browser tabs so that if one crashed it wouldn’t affect the others. This helped improve the speed and stability of Chrome in general, alongside Google’s V8 JavaScript engine that the company constantly tweaked to try and push the web forward.

After a decade of Chrome, this browser now dominates as the primary way most people browse the web. Chrome has secured more than 60 percent of browser market share on the desktop, and Google’s Chrome engineers continue to improve it with new features and push the latest web standards. Chrome has morphed into more than just a web browser, and you could argue it’s an entire platform that now runs on top of Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and even iOS.

Full Story Google’s Chrome browser is now 10 years old

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Chrome doesn't dominate the web because it is so good, but because it's made and pushed by Google and masses just devour it like idiots. Only good thing about it is the engine, everything else on top of it is mostly "new age" and "new material nonsense" idiocy. Remember the day you could literally move any button to any place in the interface? Well, Chrome did away with that and everyone else copied it. It's a miracle we're allowed to enable or disable certain buttons anywhere in any browser these days... Such awesome progress. Bitching and waiting for devs to change something in the interface instead of having free hands to do whatever you want with the interface and tailor it to your own personal needs. Pure distilled idiocy. And don't get me started with the data hoarding in Chrome...

Tried Chrome when it came out and it was stupid. Kept on trying it repeatedly through these 10 years and it kept on being stupid. Guess what, it's still stupid.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Often copied (shame on you Firefox) , never equaled.

itwt

Firefox lagged years in offering out-of-process and running in low integrity level processes. Only so called security experts used Firefox, because they had to compensate the lack of build-in security with Sandboxie and Noscript. On Windows 10 I prefer Edge (extra secured with WD Exploit protection) or Chrome over Firefox. On Windows 10 I switched form Chrome to using Edge (cleaner new tab and build-in option to delete data at browser close).

Since a month or so I use Firefox on my Desktop still running Windows 7 (Enterprise). The main reason is that I can run Firefox as standard user (under other user account) and seal that other user account with AppLocker and Access Control List completely. So after 10 years of bashing FF, on my old (Pentium Dual Core Desktop with SSD) I started to use FF as my only browser.

When this desktop gets a new Mobo & CPU I will switch to latest Windows OS and probably return to using Edge + Chrome like I am doing on my Asus Transformer with Windows 10 Home. That CPU will have better virtualisation capabilities, so I will use Edge (virtualised) as main browser. Planned new OS VM features now will make Edge the safest browser.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Chrome doesn't dominate the web because it is so good, but because it's made and pushed by Google and masses just devour it like idiots. Only good thing about it is the engine, everything else on top of it is mostly "new age" and "new material nonsense" idiocy. Remember the day you could literally move any button to any place in the interface? Well, Chrome did away with that and everyone else copied it. It's a miracle we're allowed to enable or disable certain buttons anywhere in any browser these days... Such awesome progress. Bitching and waiting for devs to change something in the interface instead of having free hands to do whatever you want with the interface and tailor it to your own personal needs. Pure distilled idiocy. And don't get me started with the data hoarding in Chrome...

Tried Chrome when it came out and it was stupid. Kept on trying it repeatedly through these 10 years and it kept on being stupid. Guess what, it's still stupid.
Try Google Chrome.
Edit:
Try Microsoft Edge.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Firefox lagged years in offering out-of-process and running in low integrity level processes. Only so called security experts used Firefox, because they had to compensate the lack of build-in security with Sandboxie and Noscript. On Windows 10 I prefer Edge (extra secured with WD Exploit protection) or Chrome over Firefox. On Windows 10 I switched form Chrome to using Edge (cleaner new tab and build-in option to delete data at browser close).

Since a month or so I use Firefox on my Desktop still running Windows 7 (Enterprise). The main reason is that I can run Firefox as standard user (under other user account) and seal that other user account with AppLocker and Access Control List completely. So after 10 years of bashing FF, on my old (Pentium Dual Core Desktop with SSD) I started to use FF as my only browser.

When this desktop gets a new Mobo & CPU I will switch to latest Windows OS and probably return to using Edge + Chrome like I am doing on my Asus Transformer with Windows 10 Home. That CPU will have better virtualisation capabilities, so I will use Edge (virtualised) as main browser. Planned new OS VM features now will make Edge the safest browser.
Off topic, but can you tell me more about WD Exploit protection for Edge or point me to a thread containing that information?

Reactions: stefanos

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Gave Firefox 62 another try despite lack of external password manager support (like LastPass) on Android. They fixed quite a lot of stuff since and I quite like it now. Literally no need to even look at Chrome lol

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.