Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
Chrome started out as one of the least memory hungry browsers on the market, but over time, it developed a bit more of an appetite for RAM. Now, however, Google is starting to get back to basics and the latest Chrome release (version 45) focuses on making the browser faster and more efficient.

See more and watch video at link.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I noticed the reduction of RAM usage of Chrome, too. :D
But it's still a big RAM eater. :D

But, I still use it because it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaayy faster than Gecko-based browsers in my laptop. :D

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Interestingly, I remember reading an article that said Google Chrome drains a laptop's battery faster than other Browsers due to its power/resource usage. I have to remember this when at school (Although most of their systems/Sites work best with Chrome).

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I use linux mint and have been running google chrome for a few weeks and i can honestly say it doesnt use any more RAM than firefox did.
Big Ram Eater...?
Not on my computer it isnt.
This would depend on how many extensions people have installed.I only have 3 installed on chrome and it runs like a charm.Might be different on windows though.Chrome is currently the only way to get an updated flash player as firefox can only use v11.2.;)

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I use linux mint and have been running google chrome for a few weeks and i can honestly say it doesnt use any more RAM than firefox did.
Big Ram Eater...?
Not on my computer it isnt.
This would depend on how many extensions people have installed.I only have 3 installed on chrome and it runs like a charm.Might be different on windows though.Chrome is currently the only way to get an updated flash player as firefox can only use v11.2.;)
Sadly, Chrome really eats more RAM than Gecko-based browser in my Windows 10 laptop.
But, I use Chrome as my primary browser because it is very, very responsive. Gecko-based browsers hangs or lags especially on heavy-imaged sites.
I only have 2 extensions enabled in Chrome and in my other browsers (Gecko-based), currently. These are Lastpass and uBlock Origin.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Sadly, Chrome really eats more RAM than Gecko-based browser in my Windows 10 laptop.
But, I use Chrome as my primary browser because it is very, very responsive. Gecko-based browsers hangs or lags especially on heavy-imaged sites.
I only have 2 extensions enabled in Chrome and in my other browsers (Gecko-based), currently. These are Lastpass and uBlock Origin.
Hi xhen,
From what i understand chrome functions differently on linux than windows .Apparently the sandbox is stronger on linux.It maybe a windows issue at your end .
Have you considered a switch to linux or perhaps dual-booting.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hi xhen,
From what i understand chrome functions differently on linux than windows .Apparently the sandbox is stronger on linux.It maybe a windows issue at your end .
Have you considered a switch to linux or perhaps dual-booting.
I really have no plans to switch to Linux, as of yet. I also don't want to have a dual-OS setup because that might complicate the already complicated and "bugfull" Windows 10. XD

Reactions: Logethica
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.