New Update VPN by Google launches on Windows and macOS

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
After a long wait, Google’s VPN is now available on Windows and macOS. All Google One subscribers who pay for 2TB of cloud storage (or more) can install the company’s desktop VPN client through the Google One web portal.

The Google One VPN originally launched as an Android-exclusive perk, though it arrived on iOS devices in early 2022. We’re not sure why Google waiting so long to launch a desktop app, as VPN clients aren’t very complex or difficult to build. Better late than never, I guess.

As you may know, a VPN obscures your identity to increase your privacy. Websites cannot see your IP address when you use a VPN, and your ISP can’t track activity that’s tunneled through a VPN service.

While the idea of using a Google-made VPN may seem a bit counter-intuitive (after all, Google doesn’t really care about your privacy), the Google One VPN is independently audited and shouldn’t present any serious concerns. You can also review the company’s code at GitHub, if you’re so inclined.

If you pay for 2TB of Google One storage (or more), you can install the company’s desktop VPN from the Google One web portal. Note that this desktop client doesn’t support Windows on ARM, and it requires Windows 10 or macOS Big Sur (or later versions of these operating systems).

The source

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I can't get it working at all on my ultra-mini win11 pc.
Is there a way to post four plain text log files for people to easily look at here?

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I can't get it working at all on my ultra-mini win11 pc.
Is there a way to post four plain text log files for people to easily look at here?

You need to have a Google One subscription to use the Google vpn. Do you have one? That may be the problem.

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
You need to have a Google One subscription to use the Google vpn. Do you have one? That may be the problem.
I have the required subscription. Just FYI I don't use this for anything other than moving a little of my data from my ISP to Google. Australian law requires the ISP to log all url requests & email sent through their servers, and if you have a cell, the call number, duration and time of call and all SMS and keep all that data for at least 2 years. I also liked that the Google VPN works with Netflix and amazon Prime video.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.