Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
‘Don’t use Allo,' tweeted Mr Snowden
1.jpg

Edward Snowden has warned people not to use Google’s new chat app, because it lets the company read everything that they say.

Google has finally released its new chat app after showing it off over the summer. It comes with a robot that watches everything people say and then stores it for later analysis, using that data to improve the app itself.

But that also means that chats are stored on Google’s servers indefinitely, and are able to be read by it. The company had initially indicated that the messages would only be stored temporarily, limiting the possible impact of any data breach and retaining some privacy for users.

But it now appears that Google won’t be doing that after all. Instead it will keep hold of all conversations.

Google will use that data to improve parts of the app, such as its smart replies feature. That will allow the app to read through conversations and try and work out how people talk – it can then use that data to suggest what they might want to say to their friends.

But Google would presumably also be able to use that same data at a future date to target ads at users. Since their personal conversations might include some of their most sensitive data, that could lead to prying of a kind that most people would object to.

Making the change does probably keep Google on the right side of the law. By keeping track of all messages, Allo conversations will be accessible by law enforcement with warrants – something that can’t happen on apps like iMessage or WhatsApp, both of which have run into trouble over not being able to give up information to authorities.

All of those problems led Mr Snowden to send out a flurry of tweets telling people not to use Allo.

Free for download today: Google Mail, Google Maps, and Google Surveillance,” he wrote. “That's #Allo. Don't use Allo.

Another read: “What is #Allo? A Google app that records every message you ever send and makes it available to police upon request.

Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-never-used-says-edward-snowden-a7320861.html

Related: Google Allo review - is it worth switching?

L

Lucent Warrior

Im just going sit here and watch how many users on windows 10 will reply to this thread stating they hate google for watching them, so i can roll my eyes so hard that one gets stuck. :p :D

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I honestly don't know what to think of all that after watching the movie Snowden yesterday :p I probably won't use it right away.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I honestly don't know what to think of all that after watching the movie Snowden yesterday :p I probably won't use it right away.
Hey, is it worth to watch the movie?
Have a nice Day. :)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Just out of curiosity if Google "spies" on you what kind of browser is secure and fast?

The Allo app is really barebones right now. Might use it once it's updated to properly replace my current SMS app. I'm already using many Google Services (Gmail, YouTube, Android, Maps, Chrome, etc...) I see no point in avoiding Allo because of privacy concerns that exist in there other services.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I cannot insist cause Edward Snowden is indeed doing the job where conspiracy theory can be a fact.

Which why Google is connected on military bases to gather information of users. [check from numerous sources]

D

Deleted member 178

Snowden is a NSA's trojan horse, this whole thing is just staged, to make people believes he is a legit whistle-blower...in fact he collect all he can about anonymity activist groups and technology they use and report it to the NSA !

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.