Google Assistant - Have you received it?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've got it on my HTC One M9 / Android 7. However I'm not going to use it, as this app works best if English is your native language.
Screenshot_20170310-123544.png

Will be interesting to see how many people will use this app...

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
This seems very interesting... Too bad I don't even own a phone! LOL

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Even tho i have it, i'm not going to use it, due to the privacy concerns. Also my native language isnt English and I don't believe that all my sensitive information is stored only privately on my Google Account. Its probably sent to some 3th party companies afterwards, or even google stores it themselves. Very paranoid about privacy/user-activity-tracking when it comes to "Cortana, Siri, and now Google Assistant". Trying to avoid these "user-helping-feature-services" as much as possible.
IMG_20170312_223741.jpg IMG_20170312_223418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: amir 957

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Very paranoid about privacy/user-activity-tracking when it comes to "Cortana, Siri, and now Google Assistant". Trying to avoid these "user-helping-feature-services" as much as possible.
It's not for everyone and I take it most people here will not use Google Assistant.

You can manage your Google Privacy here: Privacy Control | Your Google privacy settings

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: Google confirms wider Assistant rollout will not reach tablets
We've reached out to Google and got an official answer that's sure to break some hearts:

"The Assistant will be available on Android Marshmallow and Nougat phones with Google Play Services, this does not include tablets."

Straight from the horse's mouth. You can stop trying to tap and hold your home button to summon up Assistant on your tablet, that's not going to work. What you can do more productively is learn how to edit your build.prop file to circumvent the limitation. That trick has been possible since November on any Android Nougat device, even when the Assistant was exclusive to Pixel phones.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've been lucky to have Google Assistant from the get go with the Google Pixel. Makes turning on alarms so much easier haha

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: Why can't Google Assistant be installed on a tablet? - AndroidPIT
Perhaps there is a technical explanation, but these haven't been discussed (as far as I know).
Google Assistant wants to know more about you so it can help you. With your phone, it can access your contacts (not everyone has their telephone contacts in their tablet) as well as your GPS history/journeys. This is much harder with a tablet as, not only does the tablet need 4G but you would then have to take it with you everywhere.

In terms of business, Google is obviously aiming for as many people as possible to use their products. Smartphones are (much) more popular and mobile than a tablet, so it's better suit for this purpose. Of course, Google could be present on both devices by offering a smartphone and tablet service, but it hasn’t done that - for now, anyway. Google has confirmed to Android Police that their Assistant will not be available on tablet, but that could change with time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.