Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Google announced that effective today, the Chrome Web Store review staff would stop accepting new extensions on the Web Store that perform cryptocurrency mining operations.
Existing Chrome extensions that perform cryptocurrency mining will be delisted sometime in late June.
Google has allowed mining extensions under certain terms
Until today, Google allowed extensions to mine cryptocurrencies only if cryptocurrency mining was the extension's sole purpose, and the user was informed in advance that his/her computer's resources were going to be used for these types of hardware-intensive tasks.
"Unfortunately, approximately 90% of all extensions with mining scripts that developers have attempted to upload to Chrome Web Store have failed to comply with these policies," James Wagner, Extensions Platform Product Manager for Google said today.
Google is protecting Chrome's reputation more than users
But even if Google has not said it outright, the company has taken this step to protect Chrome's image.
Cryptojacking scripts have a huge impact on a computer's responsiveness, and when most users investigate, they see Chrome's processes hogging CPU resources. Very few of these users will be able to track the spike in CPU usage back to an extension.
Full Article: Google Bans Chrome Extensions That Mine Cryptocurrencies From the Web Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.