Problem Google Chrome default search engine changed...and I can't change it back

OS
MacOS High Sierra
Antivirus
Malwarebytes
I did have an issue the other day on Macbook Pro with some malware and I suspect that's when it happened. A new search engine is running my searches on Google Chrome: www.weknow.ac. I have no idea what that is or where it came from. (Forgot to mention that I have run malwarebytes at least 4 times since my incident and it comes back clean everytime.)

I've gone to the settings in my google chrome in an effort to change it, but I can't change the default back to google, and I can't remove this unknown search engine.

If anyone can help me, I would grateful! This is making me bonkers!

Go to Applications. If you see any unfamiliar applications with "weknow" in the title, delete them.

Go to System Preferences, then Profiles. There may be a Device Profile there that you did not add. Click on it and click the minus button to delete it.

After that, go to each affected browser, remove any "weknow" extensions that were added.

Finally, reset each affected browser's settings.

Do one last scan with Malwarebytes for peace of mind.

Let me know if any of these steps don't make sense and I'll add screenshots from my Mac.

arttykh

I am having the same problems with the "weknow" I have done everything from deleting application, profiles and even malwarebytes. It has found threats but I cant delete? Still on El Capitan 10.11.6
I am investigating this malware now.

It is possible, that your Mac was infected by Weknow,ac / Anysearch from the .dmg file of Adobe Flash Player.

Did you download this application on your computer recently?

m_mchenry

OS
MacOS
Antivirus
Malwarebytes
I have... I spent 2+ hours on the phone with Apple today and we tried everything to get rid of this. We got it off of my Safari and Firefox, but no matter what we did, how many times we removed and re-added Google Chrome it still comes up with the "fake" screen and the pop up at the bottom right corner. What do we do.... For now I have resolved to just abandon Google Chrome...

oldschool

Level 12
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
AVG
I have... I spent 2+ hours on the phone with Apple today and we tried everything to get rid of this. We got it off of my Safari and Firefox, but no matter what we did, how many times we removed and re-added Google Chrome it still comes up with the "fake" screen and the pop up at the bottom right corner. What do we do.... For now I have resolved to just abandon Google Chrome...
I'm not a Mac user but you could uninstall Chrome, then scan with Malwarebytes. You may then be able to safely install Brave Beta browser, which is a privacy oriented Chromium based browser. Please consider your browsing habits, find safe computing tips here on the forum and make sure you are a safe user. (y)