Google Chrome, Iridium, Dragon, and Iron Browsers

If Chrome phones home more often then other browsers, which would you use, and find just as secure?

• I use SRWare Iron, as it is more secure, and transmits less.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use Iridium, as this is more secure, and transmits less.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
chrome : google chrome, not interested.

chromium : zip folder portable, not to my liking / .paf portable zemana blocks it.

iridium : zip folder portable, not to my liking.

ungoogled chromium : zip folder portable, not to my liking.

opera : i got / like / use this, single .exe file which is why i keep it. i do not want a portable with a 7z / .zip folder to save on my disk.

firefox : portable from portable apps, not interested.

waterfox : 64 bit only.

comodo browsers : single .exe file can be made portable by just checking a box during installation, simply brilliant.

if you know of a portable browser with a single self-executing .exe file like maxthon nitro / qtweb, please do let me know.

very well said rps :)
The question is you are looking for a portable browser with a singe exe file regardless of the browser, right? As for those browsers with a portable version some already listed

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

ForgottenSeer 58943, I took all these command line switches, and added them to the end of the Target in Chromes Shortcut, after the final closing quotation ". Clicked apply, and and no problem. I am assuming that these enhance the browser or as they say "harden the browser" ? Thanks

Here's how you properly apply these switches..

1) Unpin Chrome icon from your taskbar.
2) Right click icon on desktop, hit properties, under shortcut go to the TARGET line.
3) Insert a space after the " and enter the command line parameters, such as;

\chrome.exe" --disable-background-networking --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages --dns-prefetch-disable --no-pings --disable-logging

4) Right click the icon, then re-pin it to the taskbar.

The reason you unpin and re-pin is if you do not it will use the original pinned icon without the command line switches. So those switches need to go in BEFORE you pin that icon anywhere or they won't work.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Would honestly stick with Chrome, sounds pessimistic but regardless how much we try, our data is going to be continuously get tracked and collected despite the precaution and stance we take. :/

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Would honestly stick with Chrome, sounds pessimistic but regardless how much we try, our data is going to be continuously get tracked and collected despite the precaution and stance we take. :/

Overall, I agree since Chrome is reliable and fast.. I hate it otherwise. But I do block all Google Telemetry on my UTM. Fortinet is quite nice to have a 'Block Google Spying' APPC section you just tick off and that pretty much nails it. Fortinet by default also blocks Google's QUIC (UDP over 443) because it's considered a serious security risk... This is why I haven't hurriedly changed browsers in recent years, I'm blocking most of their crap anyway. I like Opera a lot, but unsure about the Chinese owners now.

Stickypassword is garbage in what browser it supports. Once I switch off to Bit Warden that won't matter, since he will support any browser so I will be more aggressive in looking to kick Chrome to the curb.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Vivaldi is another Chromium browser that doesn't call back to Google, at least if you configure it right. They are using the Google phishing and malware protection that Chrome also uses. If you turn off the two checkboxes 'Google Phishing and Malware Protection' and 'Report Safe Browsing Incidents to Google' that you can find in the settings under Privacy > Third party services, there will be nothing send to google anymore.
They use this service because it is something that Chromium offers, but privacy is really important for Vivaldi, so they left the choice for the user to turn that off easily.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Vivaldi is another Chromium browser that doesn't call back to Google, at least if you configure it right. They are using the Google phishing and malware protection that Chrome also uses. If you turn off the two checkboxes 'Google Phishing and Malware Protection' and 'Report Safe Browsing Incidents to Google' that you can find in the settings under Privacy > Third party services, there will be nothing send to google anymore.
They use this service because it is something that Chromium offers, but privacy is really important for Vivaldi, so they left the choice for the user to turn that off easily.
But does Vivaldi uses extensions from Chrome web store? If yes, then the extensions will need to connect back to Google to check for updates, no? Also, upon start up where does Vivaldi connects to? Amazon? MS? Yahoo? Some ISP? The browser needs to connect back to some place, ok?

Reactions: ispx and kev216
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

But does Vivaldi uses extensions from Chrome web store? If yes, then the extensions will need to connect back to Google to check for updates, no? Also, upon start up where does Vivaldi connects to? Amazon? MS? Yahoo? Some ISP? The browser needs to connect back to some place, ok?

I found Vivaldi buggy and slow last month when I tried it. Slow as it, twice as slow as Chrome.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Yes that's true, when you use extensions, it will call back, but that will be the case with every Chromium based browser. That's a user choice.
What do you mean with connecting back on startup? The startpage that is loading? If you use the speed dial as startpage, nothing will be send.
It does connect back to the Vivaldi servers (encrypted) on cold startup, which sends only your OS version number and the version of Vivaldi, to check if there are updates available. Other than that there is no telemetry involved.

Reactions: simmerskool

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Despite what they say about the telemetry of data, I prefer to stay with Google Chrome

Because I'm that simple.

Reactions: simmerskool

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes that's true, when you use extensions, it will call back, but that will be the case with every Chromium based browser. That's a user choice.
What do you mean with connecting back on startup? The startpage that is loading? If you use the speed dial as startpage, nothing will be send.
It does connect back to the Vivaldi servers (encrypted) on cold startup, which sends only your OS version number and the version of Vivaldi, to check if there are updates available. Other than that there is no telemetry involved.
Not necessarily. If you have your own web store and you download from there the extensions will NOT call back to Google like Epic Privacy Browser. For Ungoogled Chromium the crx file of the extension is separately downloaded and added to the browser. Updating will be by the user.

Also, Palemoon has its own web store so extensions will NOT call back to Mozilla.

I said when you start up Vivaldi does it phones home to Google? You can check the remote IP address when the browser starts up and see where it is connecting to.

Last edited:

iAwake

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
It will be hard to find another 3rd party browser as secure as Google Chrome, because Google has the resources to beat the competition.

If you don't like Chrome or Edge, why not use Firefox?

I really like Firefox but for some reason it is lagging and too slow don't know why?! No extensions are installed. This only happens with Firefox!

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Not necessarily. If you have your own web store and you download from there the extensions will NOT call back to Google like Epic Privacy Browser. For Ungoogled Chromium the crx file of the extension is separately downloaded and added to the browser. Updating will be by the user.

Also, Palemoon has its own web store so extensions will NOT call back to Mozilla.

I said when you start up Vivaldi does it phones home to Google? You can check the remote IP address when the browser starts up and see where it is connecting to.
Yes you are right about that. Currently we have to use the Chrome webstore, but you can also manually add .crx files if you want. A separate Vivaldi Extensions Catalog is on the list of ideas to implement in the future, but there are currently other things they need to work on first, so I don't see that coming in the next months.
Last time someone verified it on the Vivaldi forums, it was not the case if was phoning back to Google. There was once an issue with some Chromium .dll that was making a connection, but that's been fixed.
I just did a quick test with a new fresh Vivaldi 1.11 stable installation, with no extensions installed, updates disabled and the google safebrowsing checkboxes disabled in the settings. TCPview did not show any outbound connection on startup with the speed dial as startpage. With the safebrowsing enabled, there was one connection to an ip that is connected to google.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes you are right about that. Currently we have to use the Chrome webstore, but you can also manually add .crx files if you want. A separate Vivaldi Extensions Catalog is on the list of ideas to implement in the future, but there are currently other things they need to work on first, so I don't see that coming in the next months.
Last time someone verified it on the Vivaldi forums, it was not the case if was phoning back to Google. There was once an issue with some Chromium .dll that was making a connection, but that's been fixed.
I just did a quick test with a new fresh Vivaldi 1.11 stable installation, with no extensions installed, updates disabled and the google safebrowsing checkboxes disabled in the settings. TCPview did not show any outbound connection on startup with the speed dial as startpage. With the safebrowsing enabled, there was one connection to an ip that is connected to google.
You can disable all connections to Google in the browser, no extensions installed and the browser will, on start up, connect to some location. See below browsers' connection on start up.

For Chromium/Iridium -> Google
For Epic Privacy Browser -> ISP
For Brave Browser -> Amazon
For Ungoogled Chromium -> Amazon

Ungoggled Chromium

Just installed Opera without extensions, as default and it connects to Digital Ocean(ISP) in Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.