Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Background pages in Google Chrome have been around for a while now, in the dev channel. While Google has provided some info, it's only now explaining in detail what the feature does and how it's useful. It's also making the functionality available to hosted apps, it has only been available for packaged apps and extensions so far.

"Apps and extensions that use the new 'background' feature can continue to run in the background—even if the user closes down all of Chrome’s windows," Andrew Wilson, Software Engineer and Michael Mahemoff, Developer Relations, wrote.

"These windows are not going to be visible but they will be able to perform tasks like checking for server-side changes and pre-emptively loading content into local storage," they explained.

More details - link

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Sounds like a good point for malware to perform a payload. Resource usage is bound to be higher on average.
I am having conflicted thoughts about this.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
What extensions need this... my guess is that none. As for apps... I haven't tried any. But when you think that google builds an entire OS around Chrome, this feature makes makes sense.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
What extensions need this... my guess is that none. As for apps... I haven't tried any. But when you think that google builds an entire OS around Chrome, this feature makes makes sense.
But then, you never quit the browser, so this would never really come into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.