Google Chrome reportedly bypassing Adblock, forces users to watch full-length video ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Twitter is alit today, it seems, with news of Google neutralising AdBlock Plus. The popular extension, originally created by Wladimir Palant in 2006, is used by many to bypass ads hosted on the internet, including the video ads served by Google's video streaming site.

It has drawn the ire of many web publishers and websites alike for allegedly curtailing their revenues significantly. In an attempt to shore up the almost non-existent profits from YouTube, Google might have finally found a way of skirting the extension. Multiple Twitter users are now posting their accounts, including images, of Chrome circumventing the extension's ad-averse net:

Full story

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Using chrome and so far nothing too, might be a beta update thing? Or they are just slowly rolling it out to see how the public would react to it. If they release it to the entire world at the same time it might cause a large portion of the users to move to another brower

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hmmm fishy story IMO as when checking on the authors own source that consist of a few persons twitter accounts o_O and read what actually written there it don't seam as a genuine issue so personal I would take the whole thing with a very Big pinch of salt...

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I'm using Microsoft Edge with a modified hosts file. I have yet to see one ad slip past.

Edge is much faster and less memory hungry than Chrome, it's unbelievable.

Reactions: XhenEd

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Well I watch a lot of youtube and never have any ads even with Chrome Canary.

btw I use Adguard on all my computers :)

It's also not physically possible to bypass the Hosts File so you can use that (just use my guide and like it okay :D)... unless you use a Chromebook and/or Windows decides to remove hosts file compatibility :eek:

M

Mr. Tech

Chrome + Adblock Plus = No Ads.
Chrome + uBlock = No Ads.
Chrome + uBlock Origin = No Ads.
Chrome + Adguard = No Ads.

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
I'm using Chrome and Chromodo with ublock=No ads(Although I let them, so they get revenue)

Firefox + Ublock= No ads.

Reactions: Butterfly

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Well i have decided to go back to my trusted firefox as chrome was eating my ram for no apparent reason with only one tab open.Nearly approaching 1.5gb at times....not good.

Reactions: Butterfly

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I made a post here with my thoughts. IMO, I don't think users necessary need to run an AdBlocker on Youtube. It's a highly trusted site, where Google will maintain and protect it users from Malvertising, even with a few past incidents.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems Google is only targeting the very specific Adblocker, but how the others? Well its a right for user if he/she doesn't want advertisement as it can give beneficial to improve browsing speed.

Those revenues lost should not be an alarming issues as the rest of users are not mandatory to use adblocker, hence the money still revolve around. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.