Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The new UI is trash, users say.
Every major user interface (UI) redesign project is a hit and miss game, and Google's new Chrome UI appears to be a colossal miss.

CHROME DEVS RECOMMEND OTHER BROWSERS, BUT NO DOWNGRADE
The way most users have been reacting to this forced UI update is by downgrading Chrome to versions 70 and earlier, where they could force the old UI as the default Chrome interface.
There are so many users saying that they are downgrading that Google engineers have stepped in to tell people to switch to other browsers rather than use an old Chrome version.
"Please don't do this. As a Chrome dev, we would really rather you use another browser than try to lock yourself on an old version of Chrome," said Google engineer Peter Kasting. "There are serious consequences to this, and much like choosing not to be vaccinated, the choice affects other people besides just you."
But Kasting, who's been doing damage control on Reddit for the past few months, is also urging users not to give up on Chrome, despite the new UI.
"The easiest thing to do would be to just stay on Chrome," he said. "With nearly all users we've talked to who've done this, they don't mind the new UI after using it for a couple weeks, it's just the initial adaptation that's a shock."

Is this the start of a new revolution?

D

Deleted member 178

Bunch of noobs whining about cosmetic changes while totally overlooking engines and security improvements.

Give them a crawling fancy shiny browser all whistles & bells but plagued with cheese-holed with vulnerabilities, and they will buy it.

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
Unfortunately it is our reality, security is there, but everyone goes the other way or they ignore it, all because of the ignorance of thinking that everything was better before, pure conservatism, blind people for change, for new technologies, it is bizarre to know that there are still people like that, in the middle of 2018, users of this type are the headache for security companies, they make things go backwards :emoji_expressionless:

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
Bunch of noobs whining about cosmetic changes while totally overlooking engines and security improvements.

Give them a crawling fancy shiny browser all whistles & bells but plagued with cheese-holed with vulnerabilities, and they will buy it.
Well said, And it does not look weird at all, looks somewhat similar to firefox in terms of appearance , but the improvements in performance are very noticeable.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah, they are out in the streets protesting. Might be the end of google after this.

Skip forward a year...Oh no google removed our beloved ui that we used for a full year with excitement. Why would they do that after we loved him so so so much...Comes back to present. I give up.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
The new UI is trash, users say.
Every major user interface (UI) redesign project is a hit and miss game, and Google's new Chrome UI appears to be a colossal miss.

CHROME DEVS RECOMMEND OTHER BROWSERS, BUT NO DOWNGRADE
The way most users have been reacting to this forced UI update is by downgrading Chrome to versions 70 and earlier, where they could force the old UI as the default Chrome interface.
There are so many users saying that they are downgrading that Google engineers have stepped in to tell people to switch to other browsers rather than use an old Chrome version.
"Please don't do this. As a Chrome dev, we would really rather you use another browser than try to lock yourself on an old version of Chrome," said Google engineer Peter Kasting. "There are serious consequences to this, and much like choosing not to be vaccinated, the choice affects other people besides just you."
But Kasting, who's been doing damage control on Reddit for the past few months, is also urging users not to give up on Chrome, despite the new UI.
"The easiest thing to do would be to just stay on Chrome," he said. "With nearly all users we've talked to who've done this, they don't mind the new UI after using it for a couple weeks, it's just the initial adaptation that's a shock."

Is this the start of a new revolution?
Doesn't those tweaks in advanced chrome settings just about:config revert to old UI?

I got used to it. It's not the end of the world especially once you find some nice themes.
I think Edge will welcome those affected people who hate rounded UI similar to Android or iOS. After few years Edge will dump Chromium and switch to FF and finally users will dump Win 10.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Theres always people that like/dislike

Everytime i use other browser i have playing issues or something, and i switch back to chrome because it just works

Only downside of chrome is sync between mobile, since mobile version of chrome does not support extensions

pliz giv my green padlock back

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Does chrome have DNS Over HTTPS option? I can't find it.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I noticed that it does look bad on badly calibrated TN displays. It looks much better on an IPS or even OLED screen that has a good white balance.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.