Google Claims it will Stop Tracking individual Users for Ads

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
As Google's plan to kill third-party tracking cookies ramps up, the company is answering questions about what will replace it. Many people have wondered: if Google kills cookies, won't the company just cook up some other method for individually tracking users?

Today, Google answered that concern in a post on its "Ads & Commerce" blog, pledging it won't come up with "any technology used for tracking individual people." The company wrote: We continue to get questions about whether Google will join others in the ad tech industry who plan to replace third-party cookies with alternative user-level identifiers. Today, we’re making explicit that once third-party cookies are phased out, we will not build alternate identifiers to track individuals as they browse across the web, nor will we use them in our products.

You might look at that statement and think that Google is sacrificing something or turning over a new leaf when it comes to privacy, but really, Google doesn't need to track individuals for advertisements. Google's cookie-tracking replacement technology, the Chrome "Privacy Sandbox," uses group tracking, which is more in line with how advertisers think anyway.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
tenor.png

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Great.
Now can they dump their Privacy Sandbox proposal that'll gift third-parties a complimentary stream of sensitive information that they're free to combine with their own self-built profiles of individual users and allow for even greater individual tracking.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I don’t think they ever cared that much about individuals. Ads aren’t super beneficial at a single user level. They may have actually realized the revenue for advertising on an individual level wasn’t worth the expense of tracking. It’s not necessarily turning over a new leaf, they just realized the cost benefit was that it’s more cost effective as aggregate data.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I hope that it is gonna be optional (opt-in), I love personalized google ADs, like offers for security software instead of generic recipes for chicken soap (I am a vegetarian). :)

Attachments

• capture_03042021_165349.jpg
    capture_03042021_165349.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 161
  • capture_03042021_170053.jpg
    capture_03042021_170053.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 159

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I hope that it is gonna be optional (opt-in), I love personalized google ADs, like offers for security software instead of generic recipes for chicken soap (I am a vegetarian). :)
The worst google has done (that we know of) with tracking is useful advertising. Which some people find horrific. We’ve yet to see anyone but the NSA use personal traffic for more sinister applications.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The worst google has done (that we know of) with tracking is useful advertising. Which some people find horrific. We’ve yet to see anyone but the NSA use personal traffic for more sinister applications.
I've actually been thinking about this a lot since you wrote it and I've been having an internal debate on my attitude towards the privacy implications of online advertising/tracking in general since then. I mean, beyond feeling a little creeped out at seeing ads for products I've previously looked at/purchased, are there any actual privacy violations that will directly affect me if Facebook were to know that I recently purchased a replacement paddle for my breadmaker? Or that I watch anime? Or that I need to renew my breakdown insurance?

I don't think I've thought about it this way before and it's interesting having one part of my brain go "You know, he's right. What else is there besides more relevant ads?" and another part going "Yeah, but all this information could end up in the hands of an entity with genuinely sinister intentions. Why take the risk?"

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I've actually been thinking about this a lot since you wrote it and I've been having an internal debate on my attitude towards the privacy implications of online advertising/tracking in general since then. I mean, beyond feeling a little creeped out at seeing ads for products I've previously looked at/purchased, are there any actual privacy violations that will directly affect me if Facebook were to know that I recently purchased a replacement paddle for my breadmaker? Or that I watch anime? Or that I need to renew my breakdown insurance?

I don't think I've thought about it this way before and it's interesting having one part of my brain go "You know, he's right. What else is there besides more relevant ads?" and another part going "Yeah, but all this information could end up in the hands of an entity with genuinely sinister intentions. Why take the risk?"
If it makes you feel better I have the same internal debate. I mostly use Chrome for google services and site and then another browser for everything else. But I don’t know if it’s worth it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I don't think I've thought about it this way before and it's interesting having one part of my brain go "You know, he's right. What else is there besides more relevant ads?"
Sometimes privacy is overrated. Search bubbles for example, he portraits it as something bad, but the video itself explains, that searches show, what the users want, so it helps.

"Yeah, but all this information could end up in the hands of an entity with genuinely sinister intentions. Why take the risk?"
That depends, what info. I have my FB public and I will tell anyone anything about myself, I do not consider it a sensitive info, since it can not be used to steal my identity.
I never publish my real birthday though, but aside from that, I do not really care. NSA and others entities already have all info about me they want, they do not need my help.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There is a paranoid exaggeration about most tracking, directed ads MAY BE USEFUL. The same goes for telemetry. Most of it is useful and may help developers decide which features need improvement or can be dropped, it can help identify bugs, etc. The problem is discovering where it stops being useful and becomes an invasion of your private life.

In my machines I disable most tracking, allowing the ones that may be useful to me such as directed search results. I also keep most telemetry on.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Sometimes privacy is overrated. Search bubbles for example, he portraits it as something bad, but the video itself explains, that searches show, what the users want, so it helps.

That depends, what info. I have my FB public and I will tell anyone anything about myself, I do not consider it a sensitive info, since it can not be used to steal my identity.
I never publish my real birthday though, but aside from that, I do not really care. NSA and others entities already have all info about me they want, they do not need my help.

I think most privacy wonks may secretly just be worried about their ‘adult’ browsing being discovered.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I think most privacy wonks may secretly just be worried about their ‘adult’ browsing being discovered.
Well they may have a reason to be worried, depends on what their "adult" browsing preferences are. 😀
I don't disable any sorts of tracking personally and I'm not afraid of being tracked. I'm just an average Joe who loves to shop, watch YT and play with malware. From time to time I like to upload my gym pics in search for attention or share my trips. Nothing too interesting to see here. My "adult" browsing also won't shock anybody, it may even be classified as boring.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I think the reason the bad guys are changing their ways is because Windows 10 is becoming a force to reckon with. For example Chromium Edge is slowly creeping it's way up the ladder and Windows Defender is now getting perfect scores, and is now becoming the rave. They know if they don't change their ...ss could be grass.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.