Google comes under fire for sabotaging other browsers once again

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It's no secret that Google Chrome is the world's most popular browser, and while a lot of that might be owed to its quality, some believe that Google intentionally sabotaged competing browsers in order to grow in popularity. A former Mozilla executive has lashed out at the Mountain View company for repeatedly and continuously finding less-than-desirable ways to promote its own browser.

Jonathan Nightingale posted a series of tweets over the weekend, detailing some of the events that took place between Google and Mozilla over the years. Nightingale starts by pointing out that Google typically played nice with Mozilla before Chrome was a thing, but things turned sour once Google's browser launched. While the company kept trying to convince Mozilla that both organizations were on the same side, things would often break in Firefox for no real reason.

According to Nightingale, Google services such as Google Docs and Gmail would have selective performance issues in Firefox, demo sites would incorrectly claim Firefox is incompatible, and so on. Each time Mozilla called attention to those problems, Google would apologize and say a fix is on the way, but the same situation would repeat itself over and over, "maybe hundreds" of times. Each time, Firefox would lose users to Chrome, ultimately giving Google's browser the popularity it has today.

While Nightingale later states that Firefox's downfall is Mozilla's own doing, this isn't the first time Google comes under attack for intentionally breaking the way websites work on competing browsers. Another Mozilla executive last year accused Google of artificially creating performance issues on YouTube when using Edge or Firefox, and a former Edge intern made a similar accusation towards the end of 2018. Microsoft ultimately gave up on its own efforts and has now launched a Chromium-based version of Edge to those who signed up for the Insider program.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Chrome became No. 1 browser only because of Google's money power and its dirty tactics against rivals.
A company which use dirty tactics against rivals will surely use it on its users also for its own benefits.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Firefox has issues even outside Google Websites, only Chrome works perfectly in all the websites I visit.

I just waiting for Microsoft Edge now.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the new Edge too. I don't completely trust Firefox.

@Gandalf_The_Grey I think we could see a mass exodus from Chrome users if MS do a nice job with the new Edge.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Chrome became No. 1 browser only because of Google's money power and its dirty tactics against rivals.
I don't know about that. When Chrome first released its competitors were all slow, cluttered, unusable messes. Chrome was, objectively, the best browser back then. Nowadays every major browser looks pretty much the same, because they all pursued the same minimalistic approach that Chrome established.

What are people's thought's on dropping Chrome for Firefox or even the open source Chromium?
My answer would depend on the reason for wanting to drop Chrome. What would be that reason?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I don't know about that. When Chrome first released its competitors were all slow, cluttered, unusable messes. Chrome was, objectively, the best browser back then. Nowadays every major browser looks pretty much the same, because they all pursued the same minimalistic approach that Chrome established.

My answer would depend on the reason for wanting to drop Chrome. What would be that reason?
I was just generalizing due to the OP.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I use Firefox on Windows. Works better for me than Chrome/Chromium. Not sure for how long though... Google has a lot of money and now Microsoft jumped to Chromium too. Its too dominant..
On Android Firefox performs bad. Chromium browsers are faster and smoother... I don't know how Mozilla achieved better performance on Windows with Quantum but not on Android..

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Mozilla is acting like a spoiled little brat. They can not keep up, so they keep blaming everyone else for theirs mistakes. Google optimizes its services for its browser, like any other company in the world does. As every software/browser gets updated, there are changes in code, which can cause bugs. Obviously optimizing Google services for 3rd party browsers will never be the priority, especially when that browser is downfalling.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I was just generalizing due to the OP.
Well, assuming it's a lack of trust in Google then I don't see the point of switching from Chrome to Chromium. Chromium, while not Google-branded, is still very Google centric and still connects to a ton of Google services (most you can turn off, some you can't). It's also been demonstrated that Chromium is vulnerable to Google's interference. You also lose access to certain features (automatic updates, built-in PDF viewer, Flash integration and proprietary media format support) when you use Chromium, which limits its usability.

As for Firefox: That depends on whether you trust Mozilla or not. After Pocket, Cliqz and Looking Glass, I sure don't. Those proved to me that Mozilla is just another company out to make money; the lesser evil among its peers, and the way they constantly regurgitate their self-righteous, hypocritical bullshit about freedom, privacy and a healthy internet makes it that much more insulting. But to each their own.

The reason being its updates are very close to Chrome unlike many other Chromium-based browser in addition to its built-in features which means less extensions .
Exactly the same two reasons I use it. Now if the Brave devs would hurry up with the ability to add custom filtering rules/lists and the Chrome devs would hurry up implementing their Trusted Types API then I could finally ditch two out of the three extensions I use.

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
What are people's thought's on dropping Chrome for Firefox or even the open source Chromium?
I doubt I will ever go back to Firefox again. Also I did switch from Chrome to another browser, called Brave.

The reason being its updates are very close to Chrome unlike many other Chromium-based browser in addition to its built-in features which means less extensions .

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I doubt I will ever go back to Firefox again. Also I did switch from Chrome to another browser, called Brave.

Same here for the same reasons. This and the new Edge when it releases. My policy is: "Don't put all your eggs/data in one basket/corporate giant." No issues with web compatibility or loss of features.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

I think it sounds credible that Google engaged in dirty tricks to gain market dominance. But I think the above factor is more significant.

Chrome logo: 666, google play logo: seal of satan, G-Mail Logo: Masonic Royal Rich Apron. Googles GPU: Adreno, the Browser: Chrome - combined, Adrenochrome (google it!). Do one need to say more about google? these are no theories, just facts.

True. When I started to use Gmail and Chrome.... I had an uncontrollable urge to engage in Satanic devil worship. Now I understand why..

I'm going back to Netscape.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013

Yeah, I use Brave as well as Chrome both on PC and Android. It is indeed a really nice browser.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Never going to happen, except the minority on, or Pro-Linux users.
- Brave (for Creators) has incentives to keep it as a FF/Chrome alternative. BAT.
- Microsoft have a good shot after Edg-ium is finalised, but only IF they marketed it correctly.
I use Firefox on Windows. Works better for me than Chrome/Chromium. [..]
On Android Firefox performs bad. Chromium browsers are faster and smoother... I don't know how Mozilla achieved better performance on Windows with Quantum but not on Android..
I know Mozilla uses their own GeckoView (wrapper) engine in Firefox Focus, but not sure about their main Firefox for Android browser.
Link: Mobile/GeckoView - MozillaWiki
This may help:

Try it here: Firefox Focus: The privacy browser - Apps on Google Play

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
All I know is that Google Maps ran smoother in Edge than it ever ran at any point in Chrome and that tells you how dangerous their near monopoly position is because we are really killing off better alternatives because they cannot compete with the amount of money Google is throwing behind Chrome. You know it's bad when even MICROSOFT is giving up.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Never going to happen, except the minority on, or Pro-Linux users.
- Brave (for Creators) has incentives to keep it as a FF/Chrome alternative. BAT.
- Microsoft have a good shot after Edg-ium is finalised, but only IF they marketed it correctly.

I know Mozilla uses their own GeckoView (wrapper) engine in Firefox Focus, but not sure about their main Firefox for Android browser.
Link: Mobile/GeckoView - MozillaWiki
This may help:

Try it here: Firefox Focus: The privacy browser - Apps on Google Play

I agree about MS Edge Chromium edition - IF they market it correctly it really has a chance at pulling people away from Google Chrome. I for one will use it. It just makes sense for me to use it. It's pre-installed, able to use Chrome extensions, it'll have Microsoft's own tweaks and touches. It just wouldn't make sense for me to download and install Google Chrome once the Edge Chromium version is out. I'm using the beta now and even though it's early day's I really like it.

Brave is a great, solid browser and I really like their extras and the direction the browser is taking. IF MS ever release the Chromium based Edge for MacOS and Linux then Google could be in some trouble, although I can't see that happening any time soon I do think it would be a good move for MS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.