Privacy News Google confirms it misleadingly tracks your location even with Location History disabled -- but it's not changing that

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Call it bad wording, call it blatant lying, call it what you like -- Google was recently found to have been misleading people about what disabling Location History on their phones actually meant. Many people understandably thought that turning off this setting would prevent Google from tracking and recording their location. They were wrong

But despite the upset caused by this revelation, Google is not backing down. Rather than changing the behavior of the setting so it did what people would expect it to do, the company has instead chosen to simply update its help pages to make it clear how misleading it is being.

An update has been made to its help pages about Location History to make it slightly clearer what the setting does, but how many people are -- realistically -- going to see it? The page previously stated that: "You can turn off Location History at any time. With Location History off, the places you go are no longer stored," and led to Google being accused of being purposefully misleading.

Now the updated version of the page reads:

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
I'm a happy user of an Android device and I do not intend on switching any-time soon, but I prefer DuckDuckGo for my search engine and other e-mail services.

It would be nice if Google respected user decisions on location tracking though.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.