New Update Google Backup and Sync and Drive File Stream to be replaced by Google Drive for Desktop

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's a full circle.

Blog: Updates on how to sync Google Drive content to your computer
Drive File Stream is now Google Drive for desktop
As of version 45, Drive File Stream is known as Google Drive for desktop. This is simply a name change; all functionality will remain the same and most admins and end users won’t need to take any action to continue using the client. See our release notes for more details.

Backup and Sync functionality and users will be transitioned to a new version of Drive for desktop later this year
Later this year, Backup and Sync users will need to transition to Drive for desktop, the unified sync client. Until then, we’re working to incorporate features from Backup and Sync into the new solution and to make it as easy as possible for users.

Backup and SyncDrive File StreamDrive for desktop
Use files in My DriveYesYesYes
Use files in shared drivesNoYes, if your plan includes shared drives or you’re invited to a shared driveYes, if your plan includes shared drives or you’re invited to a shared drive
Sync only selected folders in My Drive to your computerYesNo, but you can stream files instead to save disk spaceNo, but you can stream files instead to save disk space
Sync only individual files in My Drive for offline useNoYesYes
Open and store non-Google files like Microsoft Office & PhotoshopYesYesYes
See who's editing with real-time presence in Microsoft OfficeNoYesYes
Integrates with Microsoft Outlook, Meet schedulingNoYesYes
Sync local folders, like Documents or Desktop, to Google DriveYesNoYes
Back up photos and videos to Google PhotosYesNoYes
Back up photos and videos directly to Google Photos instead of Google DriveNoNoYes
Access multiple accounts at the same timeYesNoYes
Upload Apple Photos libraryYesNoYes
Upload from USBYesNoYes
Dark modeNoYesYes
File extensions you can ignoreYesNoNo
Source: Upcoming changes to Google Drive sync clients - Google One Help

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I wonder, why they call apps like that backup and sync, when it is just sync. When files are removed from the computer (malware, ransomware), they are also removed from the cloud, so much for the backup. I lost many files because of it, thus I backup manually via a webpage. I have seen so many people to complain, that eg onedrive has "cleaned" their desktop. :whistle:

gonza

Level 2
Sep 10, 2019
I wonder, why they call apps like that backup and sync, when it is just sync. When files are removed from the computer (malware, ransomware), they are also removed from the cloud, so much for the backup. I lost many files because of it, thus I backup manually via a webpage. I have seen so many people to complain, that eg onedrive has "cleaned" their desktop. :whistle:
Don't know about Google Drive for desktop, but I use Onedrive a lot and it has nice features. If an app tries to modify or access your files or folders, Onedrive asks for permission. It also has ransomware protection: Ransomware detection and recovering your files - OneDrive (home or personal) (microsoft.com)

And if a lot of files are deleted, you will receive an email about it. I'm not saying that Onedrive is perfect or being a fanboy, just adding my 2 cents. Actually, I agree with you that it's more "sync" than "backup".

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Google announced earlier this year its plan to merge Drive's discrete syncing clients for both businesses and consumers, namely Drive File Stream and Backup and Sync, into a single Drive for desktop client. The goal was to make it easier for everyone to keep and access their content across various devices and the cloud.

Today, Google announced that it is rolling out several Drive for desktop capabilities to both macOS and Windows. The app gives you direct access to files stored in the usual locations in your desktop and backs up content to the cloud. Some of the headline features in the unified client include the option to upload images directly to Photos or Drive. Prior to this change, you needed to upload a certain file to Drive first before a copy of it could be created in Photos.

The rest and some screenshots

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.