LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Google claims the little-known web tool keeps data private

Google has been quietly keeping track of nearly every single online purchase you’ve ever made, thanks to purchase receipts sent to your personal Gmail account, according to a new report today from CNBC. Even stranger: this information is made available to you via a private web tool that’s been active for an indeterminate amount of time. You can go view it here.

Because I made my Gmail account nearly a decade ago, my purchase history stretches back as far as 2010, including purchases I made while I was a college student and those through Apple’s App Store, which has been linked to my Gmail account since its inception. It also includes some real-world transactions made using my credit card, thanks to point-of-sale software providers like Square and others that link your credit card number and name to an associated email account to deliver receipts, offer rewards programs, and, in some cases, collect valuable purchase data.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Well the vendors know, the bank knows, and they are sure to be less secure than google. Online purchases aren’t designed to be secret. I’m personally more worried about security.

Edit: not to mention the bank probably monetizes that information somehow anyway.

Last edited:

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
Who's actually surprised?

Facebook & Google are the exact same - products of DARPA.

The 'services' are the front, just like Zuckerberg is.

Search 'Lifelog' regarding FB

Amazon is dodgy AF too - just sell online products & services eh? - Yet they have a Multi-Million-Dollar contract with the CIA.

Nest / Alexa / Google Home / AVOID ALL.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Google has been tracking nearly everything you buy online

Google has been tracking nearly everything

Well well, been using gmail for 15 years and still rocking it, google services work better on google devices and android beats IOS...cant do anything than stick on winning side

and about tracking my shopping online, ive done worse things in my life than that :emoji_innocent:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Nothing I can do about it, it's no shock either given the Facebook crap that keeps coming out. It would shock me if Google wasn't monetizing this. gmail has done well for me and its spam filters are really good. No security breaches to date, no pwnage. Speculation below the surface gets me nowhere so why sweat it? I choose to use it, there are other choices but I'm informed. Here, Google, have my games purchase history, you earned it. :barefoot:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
what happen :eek:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Zero purchases. :emoji_v::emoji_beer:
The same, but I do not even have google cookies allowed, except youtube, also adguard and cleanbrowsing block some google tracking as well.

and about tracking my shopping online, ive done worse things in my life than that :emoji_innocent:
People are so afraid of ads these days, like they are evil. I like targeted ads, sometimes they are useful, I have bought several things thanks to them, I had no idea existed. FB showed me safety shoes, I did not buy suggested, but I searched and I have just ordered those with the new boa system. :giggle:

Luckily FB knows, that I have almost lost a finger once, the toe protection would have helped, not to mention other accidents. Nice tracking FB. :)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Its because of the permission we allowed. When delivery confirmation is mailed to us only then its being tracked. While most of them are pushed to PWA apps or standalone apps or even SMS alerts, email confirmation is almost deprecated.
Outlook aka Hotmail, Google, Amazon etc.. do these as part of their analytics dashboard feature.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
People are so afraid of ads these days, like they are evil. I like targeted ads, sometimes they are useful, I have bought several things thanks to them, I had no idea existed. FB showed me safety shoes, I did not buy suggested, but I searched and I have just ordered those with the new boa system. :giggle:
Luckily FB knows, that I have almost lost a finger once, the toe protection would have helped, not to mention other accidents. Nice tracking FB. :)

Yeah, I've come to that same conclusion several times.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I do not really care. I use Hotmail as a main email service and I still like it.
However Google is superior in security and developing it's own things. Privacy is pain in the .... and I don't want to make my life harder than its necessary.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.