Google has kicked five malicious ad blockers off the Chrome Store

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
AdGuard, a company that provides its own paid ad blocking service, has released a report listing five fake extensions that have made their way to top spots in Chrome’s Web Store and been installed by millions of users...

AdGuard reports that more than 20 million users in total have downloaded and installed the five extensions, with one in particular topping out at 10 million downloads....

The five extensions mentioned in the AdGuard report have since been taken down by Google. While two of them aren’t strictly ad blockers, they abuse the same exploit. Here’s the list:

AdRemover for Google Chrome™
uBlock Plus
Adblock Pro
HD for YouTube™
Webutation "

Google has kicked five malicious ad blockers off the Chrome Store | TechRadar

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
AdGuard, a company that provides its own paid ad blocking service, has released a report listing five fake extensions that have made their way to top spots in Chrome’s Web Store and been installed by millions of users...

AdGuard reports that more than 20 million users in total have downloaded and installed the five extensions, with one in particular topping out at 10 million downloads....

The five extensions mentioned in the AdGuard report have since been taken down by Google. While two of them aren’t strictly ad blockers, they abuse the same exploit. Here’s the list:

AdRemover for Google Chrome™
uBlock Plus
Adblock Pro
HD for YouTube™
Webutation "

Google has kicked five malicious ad blockers off the Chrome Store | TechRadar

That is why I asked to make malicious extensions a sticky. (Thanks to MOD's/ADMIN's for making it). In my request I even mentione uBlock Plus (and a few others).

Question: let's post this news in future in the malicions extensions thread

Mikesierra

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2018
That´s the reason why I would never ever use unknown extensions when there are well-known ones like uBlock with a good reputation available.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.