Google Home vs Amazon Echo: Which Smart Speaker is best for you?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Google Home vs. Amazon Echo - Head To Head Battle

Amazon and Google are massive tech giants, for vastly different reasons. Google is the leading search engine provider, a smartphone platform juggernaut, and huge advertising machine, while Amazon is the largest e-tailer in the world and a cloud services powerhouse, though Google is coming up strong. Though they are different animals, these two companies find themselves locked in heated battle with their respective Google Home and Amazon Echo devices; a battle for AI dominance that could determine who will ultimately control a good chunk of the Smart Home market.

The Smart Home market has massive growth potential over the next decade and it's an area that Google wants to own. We all remember how late Microsoft was to the modern smartphone market and how Apple and Google walked all over Windows Phone, despite Windows Mobile blazing a trail years earlier. A similar fate could be in store for late arrivals to the Smart Home arena, but unlike Microsoft's Windows Phone efforts, Google and Amazon are making a strong early push to ensure they aren't left behind.

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
I honestly prefer Google's assistant than Amazon's. Google has the ability to remember what your last command/question was and you can append to it to get results of the same topic. I tried it with Echo and it didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

For example, I asked Google Assistant when Queen Elizabeth's Birthday was, then just appended with "Where was she born?" and it got the results. I tried it with Echo and it told me that it didn't understand.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I honestly prefer Google's assistant than Amazon's. Google has the ability to remember what your last command/question was and you can append to it to get results of the same topic. I tried it with Echo and it didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

For example, I asked Google Assistant when Queen Elizabeth's Birthday was, then just appended with "Where was she born?" and it got the results. I tried it with Echo and it told me that it didn't understand.
Echo can do this too but it's an opt-in mode that's only available in the United States for devices configured to speak English. To activate it:
  1. Open the Alexa app
  2. Open the side menu and select Settings
  3. Select your device
  4. Scroll down until you see Follow-Up Mode and activate it
Keep in mind you'll have to do this for each individual device you want Follow-Up Mode active on.

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
Echo can do this too but it's an opt-in mode that's only available in the United States for devices configured to speak English.
Really? I'm surprised it's not on by default... Well, looks as if I can't get it anyway considering I'm in the UK. :confused:

Reactions: Weebarra

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I'll just go to the library and find out the infos i need, i might be safer unless the librarian is monitoring my every move, recording it and using it in some unscrupulous way :p

I

illumination

Could not resist.... lol

smarthome.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.