Google is deepening its involvement with Egypt’s repressive government

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
GOOGLE IS SET to re-staff its Cairo office, which more or less went dormant in 2014, following the military coup that brought President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi to power in Egypt. The move comes against the backdrop of well-documented abuses by the Sisi government against dissidents and activists, which it facilitates using mass and targeted internet surveillance, and by blocking news, human rights, and blogging websites.

Google said it would begin recruiting full-time staff for the office after a meeting between Egyptian ministers and Google staff led by Google MENA head Lino Cattaruzzi, according to a June press release from the Egyptian government. The company also recently consulted with the Egyptian government on a data protection bill. And it is in talks to partner with the Egyptian government to expand its “Maharat min Google,” or “Skills From Google,” program, which has provided digital training for entrepreneurs through partner organizations over the past year. The expansion would be overseen by a government ministry.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm seriously considering removing myself from all Google's services. I do use an Android phone so that part might be a challenge. I could easily use a custom ROM and not use any Google services but I've just had an S10 and I don't think there's a custom ROM available that's based on AOSP, I checked on the Lineage OS site last night. So, if I do deice to leave all of Google's services I may have to sell my phone and buy one that I can use a custom AOSP ROM on. Or, buy a cheaper Android phone such as a Galaxy A40 or A50 and use a Libreem 5 for day to day usage. I do like my S10 though so I'd prefer a custom ROM for this device.

I've already setup accounts with Protonmail and Tutanota mail and purchased my own domain name with CPanel so I can control my own email. Although I'm not really using my own email at the moment, that's there for if, or when I decide to leave Google behind. I'm not going to lie, I do enjoy the convenience of Google's services they make life much easier and they're very helpful and convenient. Plus I think we're fighting a losing battle regarding online privacy so that makes me think should I just continue as I am because at some point I may be forced to anyway.

Thanks for sharing this.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Yes, Librem
It gives you privacy on the level of integrity as well as on the part of electronic parts.
They have a wide variety of products including phones and computers.

I remember first posting about this last year I think it was. And most people replying were just asking how it compares to Android and iOS and listing features both mobile OS's had asking if it had those features. Not many seemed to actually get what this project is about. It's a very good start to an equally promising future that will at least give us the option of better privacy on mobile devices isn't it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.