Google Play Protect is the latest line of defense against dangerous Android apps

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
There’s no getting away from the fact that Android has something of an issue with dangerous and malicious apps. Google’s latest weapon in the fight against such apps is Google Play Protect which uses machine learning and app usage analysis to weed out the bad guys.

The new system sees Google not only checking apps as they are submitted to the Play Store, but monitoring the apps you already have installed. By analyzing app behavior, Google is able to identify suspicious software that may have slipped through the net or has been installed from outside of the Pay Store.

Play Protect is able to offer guidance when suspicious activity or dangerous apps are detected, and can even remove apps automatically if necessary. Google says that “Play Protect continuously works to keep your device, data and apps safe. It actively scans your device and is constantly improving to make sure you have the latest in mobile security. Your device is automatically scanned around the clock, so you can rest easy.”

While not all of the feature of Play Protect are new, the latest launch sees Google making the protective features more visible to Android users. You’ll be able to see the protection in action in the My apps & games section of the Play Store on your device.

Find out more at the Play Protect page.

PS: please move it, if is in the wrong section.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Don't know if this is the same or not:

In Android 7 there is a security setting for google that continually verifies apps

It's pretty hidden and mine was off by default

Settings, Google, Security and the verify apps
You are one of the few lucky that has Android 7(but this setting is also available in Android 6.01).;)
Android's biggest problem is that most of users have an older version that most of time cannot be updated nor upgraded anymore.
Until Google fixes this, Android will be an "unsafe world"...The problem is not only the device with the old Android but also all devices it connects to.:(

tryfon

Level 2
Verified
May 13, 2017
Luckily a decent amount of the apps that have spyware / malware aren't updated very often and occasionally a new android OS update breaks apps like this

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Hi all,

Here's the biggest problem I've run into with "Verify Apps" which is the same as the new name, Google Protect, but located in the main settings google app on phone such as HTC. Others have run into this as well.

When you try to sideload any apps, especially say, a global adblocker app, Google gives the Universal warning, "this app may damage your device" or some such nebulous statement. This is disingenuous to say the least. Now, I agree, most should not be downloading ANYTHING because they don't know what they are doing, and Grant just about any permission an apk. requested, or demands if malware.

However, after side loading apk's I do turn back on, Verify apps with no problems. But I have done extensive research first and tested the app, or rather scanned them in multiple AV engine's.

SaeedLohana

Level 2
Verified
May 28, 2017
Don't know if this is the same or not:

In Android 7 there is a security setting for google that continually verifies apps

It's pretty hidden and mine was off by default

Settings, Google, Security and the verify apps
Google actually asks me to turn these settings on everytime I install my first app after fresh & custom rom installation, usually during installing app from unknown sources, may be you didn't install that's why it never asked.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Google actually asks me to turn these settings on everytime I install my first app after fresh & custom rom installation, usually during installing app from unknown sources, may be you didn't install that's why it never asked.

Actually I received warnings BECAUSE it was ON. It blocked me from install, so I turned off, installed apk, then turned back on. You using a custom ROM creates a completely different scenario.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If you read reviews on the app and see what the rating is before you download it then you shouldn't have a problem at all with malware on Android.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
If you read reviews on the app and see what the rating is before you download it then you shouldn't have a problem at all with malware on Android.

Sorry, but that's definitely NOT always true. As is the most recent scare, about "Wanna cry ransomware" a whole raft of apps popped up in Google Playstore, which were absolutely worthless! Meaning they did nothing and especially in regards to protection. Which they all claimed. But yet, they all had positive reviews with high ratings.

Fake WannaCry Protection Apps Fill Google Play

And things like this happen all the time. You need to read beyond Review's, and investigate further, especially what permissions it's asking at a minimum. And knowing country of origin is helpful too. Email the developer to see if they are responsive or not. And there's more to do like purchases a pro version without ad SDK 's to steal data from your device, because they all do that, which means you lose data allowance if on a set amount. I spend weeks evaluating apps and not just from playstore, but really dig in on outside apk's.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Sorry, but that's definitely NOT always true. As is the most recent scare, about "Wanna cry ransomware" a whole raft of apps popped up in Google Playstore, which were absolutely worthless! Meaning they did nothing and especially in regards to protection. Which they all claimed. But yet, they all had positive reviews with high ratings.

Fake WannaCry Protection Apps Fill Google Play

And things like this happen all the time. You need to read beyond Review's, and investigate further, especially what permissions it's asking at a minimum. And knowing country of origin is helpful too. Email the developer to see if they are responsive or not. And there's more to do like purchases a pro version without ad SDK 's to steal data from your device, because they all do that, which means you lose data allowance if on a set amount. I spend weeks evaluating apps and not just from playstore, but really dig in on outside apk's.

Then only install apps you need and use everyday. I barely install apps that I don't need. Plus I have my phone backed up every day just incase something does decide to go pear shaped..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.