Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
screen_shot_2014-08-30_at_5.49.22_pm.jpg

Google has removed an app that was designed to help keep your information private from the Google Play store. The app, called "Disconnect Mobile" was built to stop other apps from collecting data on its users.

Google was not happy about this and said that it broke rules that the company had in place when the app was published; the app has now been pulled from the store. The developers of the app, Disconnect, a startup based out of San Francisco, spent a year and $300,000 to build the app. During its short life in the Play store, it was downloaded over 5,000 times.

The developers claim that they paid close attention to the policies that Google had in place when they built their app and they do not believe that it broke any of the stated rules.

This is not the first time Google has gone after apps that work to protect your privacy. Ad Block, a popular extension for Chrome and other browsers, was pulled from the Play store and now has to be side-loaded if you want to use all of the apps features.

It should not be a huge surprise as to why Google doesn't want these apps in there stores. Google makes a lot of money off of collecting meta data about your browsing habits to help deliver targeted advertisements. When apps start getting in-between its revenue streams, Google takes action.

Of course, there are legitimate reasons why you would not want an app to be able to block or alter content from another app on your phone. If this policy was not in place, it could allow for even more malicious apps to make their way into the Play environment.

For clarity, Disconnect Secure Wireless is still available, but the other application, Mobile, is not available on Android anymore.

With that being said, Disconnect Mobile is not a malicious app and was trying to make it easier for consumers to protect their data on the world's most popular smartphone platform.

Source: WSJ | Image Credit: Google Play

Reactions: Oxygen

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
This made me sad. The APPs those collect users data is still available but the app which protects user's privacy is being removed from the store.

Reactions: Moose

MalwareHunter

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 30, 2014
Google will fail sooner or later (I think later, but still...), and it will nothing more than a memory..

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Google will fail sooner or later (I think later, but still...), and it will nothing more than a memory..

Until there's no real competition for many of their services (the Google search engine and YouTube mostly, but even Gmail is one of the best email providers), they're here to stay.

MalwareHunter

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 30, 2014
Until there's no real competition for many of their services (the Google search engine and YouTube mostly, but even Gmail is one of the best email providers), they're here to stay.
I can wait...No hurry... ;)

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
There is a decent alternative called
"my permissions" that spells out the nitty gritty of all your apps permissions and monitor's them and all new downloads letting you at least know when an app gains permissions,and what exactly they are. Acts like an app manager too,being you can uninstall new apps who ask for too much. Can anyone say " flashlight"? I especially liked how it listed the 50 plus permissions for facebook.:D ps. It scans your online services as well,and they explain their own permission too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.