Google Removes AVG and Avast Browser Extensions from Chrome Webstore Over Spying Issues

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Research from an ad-blocking founder has revealed that popular browser extensions are unlawfully collecting user data. These are the extensions from famous Antivirus Companies, Avast, and AVG. As allegations turned out to be true, they were now removed from Chrome’s Web Store.
Chrome web store is more like Playstore or Appstore but in the web version of the browser. No one would think that even the tiny extensions could spy on users. Here’s a story of four browser extensions collecting more than data than needed and being delisted from stores.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Back in the windows XP and windows 8 days I used Avast they continued to add more and more junk into the product as well as intrusive advertisements tactics along with bundle software (usually google chrome.) We lost Avast but now have windows defender that's now constantly improving.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I recall that a few years back, Avast also was accused of collecting data through its chrome extension. But in those days I was not into security like nowadays, so maybe I am confusing Avast with another security company. Can some of the seasoned members provide some insights on this. Am I imaging something or is this the second Avast is caught with their hand in the cookie jar?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I wonder if this will have a ripple effect on Avast's user base. Negatively. I already read elsewhere where someone says "I use Avast" and the reply is" no, remove that. Don't use that." I mean, the end-action was the same as if Google had found malicious apps in its Store. Simply removing them.

Norton asks sometimes if I would send anonymous user data to them. I say "OK." At least they ask. Avast just takes.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Will the extension be deleted in this chrome-derived browser?:unsure::coffee:
Avast-Secure-Browser-5.png

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Im pretty sure only kaspersky is the only other one that used to be collecting and selling your info, but right now they are very vocal about it and making you able to choose if you want them to use your data for marketing purposes.
At least the KSN data they say that they don't use it for marketing of the company and don't sell to third part, I read the EULA.

Usually, I receive email from Avira, Avast and Norton. I only receive emails from Kaspersky because I signed their blog newsletter.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
At least the KSN data they say that they don't use it for marketing of the company and don't sell to third part, I read the EULA.

Usually, I receive email from Avira, Avast and Norton. I only receive emails from Kaspersky because I signed their blog newsletter.
When you first install kaspersky you will be able to accept or decline an offer saying if they can use your data for marketing purposes, its even in the settings.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
When you first install kaspersky you will be able to accept or decline an offer saying if they can use your data for marketing purposes, its even in the settings.
Didn't notice whether during installation the option exist for other regions but in settings the option is only available for the En-Gb version. It should be there for all versions.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
I wonder if this will have a ripple effect on Avast's user base. Negatively. I already read elsewhere where someone says "I use Avast" and the reply is" no, remove that. Don't use that."

-1 avast user here after 15+ years. Luckliy I never used the browser extension. Shame they're shooting themselves in the foot as avast is very light and has good protection in hardened aggressive mode. :LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.