Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Gizmodo said:
Any advanced Internetter knows that the best way to enjoy the pure Internet is to get an ad blocker. It zaps away all the excess and gives you the meaty good stuff. However, it looks like companies are figuring ways to circumvent ad blockers... by paying them off. Google is reportedly paying one of the most popular ad blockers, AdBlock Plus, to not block Google's ads.

Basically, Google is getting Google ads whitelisted from the ad blocking service. It's unclear how much Google is paying AdBlock Plus and what other companies are doing the same but AdBlock Plus has always (since 2011, at least) maintained a whitelist to allow ads that are nonintrusive to exist on the Internet. AdBlock Plus describes the whitelist specifics:

Whitelisting is free for all small websites and blogs. However, managing this list requires significant effort on our side and this task cannot be completely taken over by volunteers as it happens with common filter lists. That’s why we are being paid by some larger properties that serve nonintrusive advertisements that want to participate in the Acceptable Ads initiative.

Read more: http://gizmodo.com/google-supposedly-paid-off-adblock-plus-to-not-block-go-682029020

Z

ZeroDay

Thanks for the share Jack. Google are really starting to get under my skin, and Microshaft come to think of it.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
It's just a check box that you can uncheck

Capture.PNG

Z

ZeroDay

Yes I have that box unchecked, but it's still not good to see adblock+ doing deals like this. Oh well everyone seems to be at it just lately.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
This is like a popular malware distributor asking an Anti Malware company to not block the malware they distribute...

If I was the owner of Adblock+ I would've said that I don't want a single penny from them. :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Another way for Google to earn more money.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
the news popped up in tomshardware today so its not the same as the checkbox in option menu.

apparently they are paying them to remove certain ad's or ad's on certain websites from their blocking list.

the good news is that there's no proof of it yet BUT, if one surfaces then i personally will remove my google account and stop using their products all at once. first it was the privacy agreement changes last year, then PRISM and now this.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
GOOGLE: THE NEW ROCKEFELLER.

Google has much more backing from the Federal Government though.

John Rockefeller was worth 2% of GDP. Google will surpass that while not being considered a monopoly. Google is above the law and the White House seems to be OK with that.

Oh well everyone seems to be at it just lately.

It seems like almost everyone has no since of loyalty, or any principles, any more. It seems that anyone can be bought. It might look cute now, but in the end it is going to rip the world apart.

Senexx

Verified
Jun 28, 2013
An option for a replacement that I just stumbled across: http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/03/hellboy-firewall-is-a-powerful-but-lightweight-adblocker-for-firefox/

It does have its drawbacks, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.