Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
The browser wars are starting to heat up again as both Google and Microsoft promote their software at the expense of their competitors. Such is the case with a new notification shown in the Chrome Web Store telling Microsoft Edge users to switch to Google Chrome.

Earlier this month, Microsoft started to display promotions in the Windows 10 Start Menu that suggest Firefox users should switch to the Microsoft Edge browser.

Windows 10 Start Menu Promoting Microsoft Edge
Windows 10 Start Menu Promoting Microsoft Edge
Now we have the Chrome Web Store telling Microsoft Edge users that they should switch to Google Chrome for better security.

As discovered by WindowsLatest, when Microsoft Edge users visit the Chrome Web Store, Google will display an alert stating "Google recommends switching to Chrome to use extensions securely."

The notification then prompts the user to download Google Chrome as shown below.

Well that didn't take long.

I guess Google is taking notice. Funny thing is, since the new Edge is based of Chromium, I don't know how Chrome itself is more secure on the extension side of things compared to the new Edge. TBH MS has done a really good job with this browser and maybe it's pulling more people away from Chrome than originally thought. I know I am one of them, I like the new Edge better than Chrome and it's only getting better IMHO.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

About more security, Google are probably right, their store is older and has more feedbacks. But that is just it, I don't think there is some super mechanism making it safer than any other equivalent chromium stores.
I remember in the past, there was a Chrome flag checking for extensions validations, but I think it is now enabled by default in every chromium forks, need to check.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
About more security, Google are probably right, their store is older and has more feedbacks. But that is just it, I don't think there is some super mechanism making it safer than any other equivalent chromium stores.
I remember in the past, there was a Chrome flag checking for extensions validations, but I think it is now enabled by default in every chromium forks, need to check.

That is true!

If you are looking at the MS extension store specifically I do agree, however you can install extensions through the Google Chrome Webstore, so in that regard the security should be the same, as the extension is coming from the same place. For me that's where I get my Adguard extension, as it isn't available through the MS store, but I installed it via the chrome web store.

ErzCrz

Level 7
Verified
I like the new edge quite a bit, not had many issues with it. I did find that any add-ons I got from the Microsoft store weren't bring updated as often as the chrome store. I.E. UBO was a couple of versions behind. Kind of makes me think of Windows phones. In that respect.

Do you have to have Win10 Pro to put the WD extension in Chrome or did I mis-hear that from somewhere? Like Adguard, I wish WD's SS filtering worked no matter what browser you used.

Anyway, Chromium Edge is my default these days ;)

Cortex

Level 23
Verified
I noticed the other day when using a theme for Edge Google had started the banner - Overall I like Edge a lot, my default & in some ways the best browser I've used in the few years - I installed Edge on my other half's lappy while she was away, I haven't told her & wondering if it will be noticed (Chrome was on before) Changed her to Bing too :) I do have concerns for Firefox though as they must be taking a hit from Edge?

Lenny_Fox

Level 14
Verified
Based on features I would say Edge is safer than Chrome, because:

1. File edit acces container
Edge is implicit, while Chrome has a site-permission for it. Edge's implicit restriction is more restricted than Chrome. When you disable "Ask where to save each file before downloading" in Edge, the renderer, extensions and save as (of broker) only have write access to downloads folder. A clear full ippon (1 points) for Edge for average Joe/Jane PC users

2. De-elevate Edge on startup (flag enabled by default)
When enabled, it de-elevates the broker from high to medium integrity level rights, which effectively acts as a second safety-net around the broker when some malware might have escaped the untrusted integrity level renderer or GPU process. Making it a second ippon for Microsoft: Edge 2 vs Chrome 0

3. Windows Defender Exploit protection
By enabling the "Code Integrity Guard" exploit protection for msedge.exe, WD-exploit protection blocks loading of DLL's not signed by microsoft. Upside of this 'Microsoft only hardening policy' is that it reduces the working space of malware a lot. Downside of this protection that this defense mechanism also blocks DLL-injected into the browser other security programs. So this is a techies-purist advantage only, there fore a wazari (half point) for Microsoft : Edge 2,5 vesus Chrome 0

4. Microsoft Smartscreen vs Google Safe Browsing
Again a small advantage for Microsoft's implementation of this blacklist URL and download protection. The slight advantage of Microsoft is because Smartscreen is a cloud based service checking every URL while you browse, while Google periodically updates the local blacklist and downloads it to the Chrome browser (is it still every half hour?). In this comparison Google gets a penalty (a chui) for offering old-fashioned batch updates, but Microsoft also gets a penalty (a chui) for using unhashed URL's for this cloud check up

Last edited:

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Based on features I would say Edge is safer than Chrome, because:

1. File edit acces container
Edge is implicit, while Chrome has a site-permission for it. Edge's implicit restriction is more restricted than Chrome. When you disable "Ask where to save each file before downloading" in Edge, the renderer, extensions and save as (of broker) only have write access to downloads folder. A clear full ippon (1 points) for Edge for average Joe/Jane PC users

2. De-elevate Edge on startup (flag enabled by default)
When enabled, it de-elevates the broker from high to medium integrity level rights, which effectively acts as a second safety-net around the broker when some malware might have escaped the untrusted integrity level renderer or GPU process. Making it a second ippon for Microsoft: Edge 2 vs Chrome 0

3. Windows Defender Exploit protection
By enabling the "Code Integrity Guard" exploit protection for msedge.exe, WD-exploit protection blocks loading of DLL's not signed by microsoft. Upside of this 'Microsoft only hardening policy' is that it reduces the working space of malware a lot. Downside of this protection that this defense mechanism also blocks DLL-injected into the browser other security programs. So this is a techies-purist advantage only, there fore a wazari (half point) for Microsoft : Edge 2,5 vesus Chrome 0

4. Microsoft Smartscreen vs Google Safe Browsing
Again a small advantage for Microsoft's implementation of this blacklist URL and download protection. The slight advantage of Microsoft is because Smartscreen is a cloud based service checking every URL while you browse, while Google periodically updates the local blacklist and downloads it to the Chrome browser (is it still every half hour?). In this comparison Google gets a penalty (a chui) for offering old-fashioned batch updates, but Microsoft also gets a penalty (a chui) for using unhashed URL's for this cloud check up

Hi,
The point 2 is irrelevant in the Standard Account.

Reactions: Correlate

Raiden

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
I like the new edge quite a bit, not had many issues with it. I did find that any add-ons I got from the Microsoft store weren't bring updated as often as the chrome store. I.E. UBO was a couple of versions behind. Kind of makes me think of Windows phones. In that respect.

Ya it really depends on the developer of those extensions. UBO for edge is not done by the main developer of UBO. It was a port that someone else did and quite frankly I dont think he's keeping up with it.

Personally, since you can install extensions from the chrome web store, I would go that route, as you will get the more up to date version of the extensions, plus ones that aren't on the MS store.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 36
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Ya it really depends on the developer of those extensions. UBO for edge is not done by the main developer of UBO. It was a port that someone else did and quite frankly I dont think he's keeping up with it.
I think it got mixed up on the new Microsoft Edge Addons store.
Still mentioning the old fork developer Nik Rolls, but it's Raymond Hills (gorhill) version 1.23.0.