Google to run on 100% Renewable Energy, 2017

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Guardian: Google to be powered 100% by renewable energy from 2017. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw6KWK6DA

Google’s data centres and the offices for its 60,000 staff will be powered entirely by renewable energy from next year, in what the company has called a “landmark moment”.

The internet giant is already the world’s biggest corporate buyer of renewable electricity, last year buying 44% of its power from wind and solar farms. Now it will be 100%, and an executive said it would not rule out investing in nuclear power in the future, too.

“We are convinced this is good for business, this is not about greenwashing. This is about locking in prices for us in the long term. Increasingly, renewable energy is the lowest cost option,” said Marc Oman, EU energy lead at Google. “Our founders are convinced climate change is a real, immediate threat, so we have to do our part.”

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Its a good news, but the fact is that they are doing it to save costs that's why they are also looking forward to nuclear option which is really bad. But whatever the reason may be its gonna do a lot of good.
I agree 100%.
They could have just said we know climate change is a threat and so we go green and they would have had a way better image and public impact.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

The Guardian: Google to be powered 100% by renewable energy from 2017. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw6KWK6DA

Google’s data centres and the offices for its 60,000 staff will be powered entirely by renewable energy from next year, in what the company has called a “landmark moment”.

The internet giant is already the world’s biggest corporate buyer of renewable electricity, last year buying 44% of its power from wind and solar farms. Now it will be 100%, and an executive said it would not rule out investing in nuclear power in the future, too.

“We are convinced this is good for business, this is not about greenwashing. This is about locking in prices for us in the long term. Increasingly, renewable energy is the lowest cost option,” said Marc Oman, EU energy lead at Google. “Our founders are convinced climate change is a real, immediate threat, so we have to do our part.”
I honestly do like Google. Lots of people seem to dislike Google because of the privacy snooping & the fact they know everything we do online but honestly the company does sound like a pretty nice place to work - free breakfasts, slides instead of stairs & really nice offices. The CEO of Google is also a good guy from what I've seen :)

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I honestly do like Google. Lots of people seem to dislike Google because of the privacy snooping & the fact they know everything we do online but honestly the company does sound like a pretty nice place to work - free breakfasts, slides instead of stairs & really nice offices. The CEO of Google is also a good guy from what I've seen :)

Oh! I don't work with them. :(
Atleast I could have save some money because of free breakfast.

Reactions: SHvFl and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well Google must indeed use renewable energy, they are engage on multi-complicated task on gathering information through their servers everyday and electricity is wasteful when components used are common like coal.

Nuclear is something should not be in their minds cause the risk and effects were already proven for destruction.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
There should be more of renewable energy used everywhere not just at Google, this Planet is going to need it. ;)

Reactions: Venustus and SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.