Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Homepage - http://www.google.com/wallet/

Google Wallet, which will allow people to tap or swipe their phones to pay for things, officially launches today on its first smartphone, the Samsung Nexus S offered on Sprint Nextel.

FAQ :

What is Google Wallet?
Google Wallet is a mobile app that will make your phone your wallet. It stores virtual versions of your existing plastic cards on your phone, along with your coupons, and eventually, loyalty and gift cards. Our intention is that Google Wallet will be an open mobile wallet holding all the cards and coupons you keep in your leather wallet today.

Can I use Google Wallet with my phone?
Google Wallet with tap and pay is compatible with Nexus S 4G by Google, available on Sprint®.

If my phone is eligible, how do I get Google Wallet?
Google Wallet will be automatically pushed to Nexus S 4G phones on Sprint® as part of a software update.

What is near field communication (NFC) technology?
NFC is a wireless technology that enables data transmission between two objects when they are brought within a few inches of each other. Smartphones enabled with NFC technology can exchange data with other NFC enabled devices or read information from smart tags embedded in posters, stickers, and other products.

How much does it cost to use Google Wallet?
Nothing. Google Wallet is a free app. As an added bonus, for a limited time we’re giving new users $10 USD on the Google Prepaid Card upon activation of the card.

How does Google Wallet relate to Google Checkout?
Google Checkout is a service that enables merchants to accept and process online payments. Google Wallet, on the other hand, is a mobile app that enables users to tap and pay at physical, brick and mortar stores.

You can find more details and download Google Wallet  from here.

Related videos :

Google Wallet Explained in a Nutshell (What is Google Wallet?)

Introducing Google Wallet

Hands-on with Google Wallet (Demo)

Last edited:

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Cool, look at the money Google is now going to earn !

+ another way of getting more information about you, now they don't only know what you search for, what you e-mail, what photo's etc you share. Now they also know your bank account and what you're buying ! =)

eXp

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Smartphone are the next target for hacker and malware writters. Smartphones don't have security apps like comodo CIS to protect you. ESET security app is only an av I think which won't protect you in case the malware is new.

Offtopic but interesting

Comodo has inoffical announced that they will make security app for android.

D

Deleted member 178

hey ! google wallet can store omy condoms? :D

more seriously, until smartphones are very secured this is a high risk to use it. but the comfort of use is undeniable.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
The app itself may not be a problem but people aren't always free from malwares and that's where to problem lays.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Yup, I've got this on my Nexus S 4G. I don't really like the idea, it gives thieves another reason to take your phone.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Well this is the near future....I'm sure that other developers will soon write a similar app. for smartphones. Is this secure ? ..... Most likely there are ways to cheat the system but is paying by credit card much safer?

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
And Trend Micro is reporting that Crooks Are Looking At Your Mobile Wallet ...... as we all expected.

by David Sancho (Senior Threat Researcher) said:
I’ve read lately about the launch of Google Wallet and how it might revolutionize how we make payments. Instant payments by putting the phone near a terminal and keying in my PIN? Sounds good. As exciting as it might be to try out new technologies, if it has to do with my wallet, though, I think things through twice, or more.

Things to Consider

First off, you need to have an Android phone. Android, while a beautiful piece of software, is the most attacked mobile software in the planet. It’s the most used one now that it surpassed its Apple competitor and there’s no signs of it slowing down. I don’t mean to say that anything running on Android is bad or risky but just keep the ‘most attacked’ angle in mind for now.

Second, it uses NFC, a technology not very unlike RFID. That’s the info-emitting little chip you put on your dog for the vet to identify him. It’s also the little chip on your passport broadcasting your data and the one that your credit card uses as well (if you have a US credit card, that is). It’s a technology that, while extremely useful, it provides a very juicy target for the bad guys. A bad guy with a big antenna pointed at my dog can read her ID number from afar. Okay, that’s not the worst scenario I can picture.

Mobile Platforms Now A Target

Well, I’ve been to a hacker conference or two. Perhaps a lot more, and I can tell you that this thing *will* be a hacker’s target. I don’t mean to scare you off, I’m sure that the good guys have done their job properly and that Google will patch things up if they fail, even slightly. With this I mean to say that if you ever thought that the bad guys weren’t looking right, left, and center to mobile platforms for future ways of attacking, now you can be sure they are.

They don’t target platforms just because it’s fun, but because there’s money involved… and there is now. We’ve been seeing the Android platform under increasing attack for about a year and this news will only accelerate that trend. This puts us, antivirus vendors, in red alert mode for new attacks on Android. At the end of the day, we want to protect you. And your wallet.

Enjoy the Google Wallet technology and the convenience it provides but check the bank statements often (which you should anyway). If you’re feeling especially paranoid about this but still want to try it out, you can always get a pre-paid credit card to pay with. That will give you enough security to feel more at ease.

(via Trend Micro)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not only Google.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-05/20/orange-and-barclaycard-nfc

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.