Google will now auto-delete location and search history by default for new users

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
On Wednesday, Google announced broad changes in its default data practices for new users, including a significant expansion in the company’s willingness to automatically delete data.

In a blog post announcing the changes, CEO Sundar Pichai emphasized the company’s commitment to privacy, security, and user choice. “As we design our products, we focus on three important principles: keeping your information safe, treating it responsibly, and putting you in control,” Pichai wrote. “Today, we are announcing privacy improvements to help do that.”

Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the changes were about “keeping your information safe... and putting you in control”

Google’s auto-delete feature applies to search history (on web or in-app), location history, and voice commands collected through the Google Assistant or devices like Google Home. Google logs that data in its My Activity page, where users can see what data points have been collected and manually delete specific items. Historically, Google has retained that information indefinitely, but in 2019, the company rolled out a way to automatically delete data points after three months or 18 months, depending on the chosen setting.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Auto delete of things from user view. Not from Google's view. Or if I rephrase this, Google processes and uses up data from users to a point it can be deleted after 18 months with no loss for them.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Google : Satan.jpg
I trust Google as I trust a lady I once knew :devilish:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.