Google workers can listen to what people say to its AI home devices

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Google acknowledged its contractors are able to listen to recordings of what people say to the company’s artificial-intelligence system, Google Assistant. The company admitted on Thursday that humans can access recordings made by the Assistant, after some of its Dutch language recordings were leaked. Google is investigating the breach.

The recordings were obtained by the Belgian public broadcaster VRT, which reviewed more than 1,000 audio clips and found 153 had been captured accidentally. Google Assistant begins automatically recording audio when prompted by a user, usually by saying a wake-up word or phrase like, “OK, Google”. Google says contractors listen to recordings to better understand language patterns and accents, and notes that recordings may be used by the company in its user terms. This feature can be turned off, but doing so means Assistant loses much of its personalized touch.

A spokesman for the company told Wired only 0.2% of all recordings are accessed by humans for transcription, and that the audio files are stripped of identifying user information.

However, the report from VRT found recordings of users that had identifiable information, including one person’s address and other personal information, like a family discussing their grandchildren by name, another user discussing their love life, and one user talking about how quickly a child was growing.

I guess I need to run out and get an Alexa!

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Does that also apply to the Google Assistant on mobile devices?
I don't use it at all.

Reactions: Venustus

lThinkFreel

Level 2
Jun 24, 2019
Sometimes i like breaches, to be fair. They show that no privacy is left if you use these things and services.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
What surprises me is that people are surprised by this.
Same. I own an Echo Dot but before I did so I just assumed every voice recording made via these devices would be sent to the developer and would be listened to by its employees.
I don't know how anyone expects these devices to improve or develop new features without at least some of the recordings being listened to.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Amazon Echo does indeed keep voice recordings, that's why Google Home, Amazon Echo / Fire TV with Alexa and Facebook Portal devices are banned from our household.

I've not looked up about Apple + Siri home devices, but waiting for a leak / report about it.

Does that also apply to the Google Assistant on mobile devices?
I don't use it at all.
You can turn off the Microphone permissions for Google App, disable Voice and "OK Google", amongst other things. The best way to avoid is to not use a Google device.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I thought it was already known Amazon and Google did this.

Anyone paying attention for the last half decade knows this. Anyone paying attention for the last 50 years knows installing microphones in your home is a terrible idea. The CIA has already bragged (years ago) they were 'very excited' that people would soon be having fully connected homes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.