Google's new phones will be called the Pixel and Pixel XL

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Speaking to two independent sources, we now strongly believe that Google's formerly-maybe-Nexus-phones, Marlin and Sailfish, will be marketed as the Pixel and the Pixel XL. We do not have pricing information. At this time, it is unknown to us when Google decided to shift its in-house smartphone brand from Nexus to Pixel or why (though speculation will likely run wild).

The Pixel will be the 5" Sailfish device, while Pixel XL will be the 5.5" Marlin. As to our confidence in this information: given that our two sources are independent, and the fact that one in particular has been exceptionally reliable in the past, we feel comfortable saying you can take this to the bank. Coupled with Android Central's breaking story on Tuesday that the phones would not be branded as Nexuses - what else could they even be branded as?

Some will say that Marlin and Sailfish's specifications and HTC manufacture don't live up to the "premium" image that the Pixel brand has been associated with to date. I think that's an interesting topic, and one worth broaching, though I don't think Google themselves have ever truly said that Pixel is supposed to be the very best of everything so much as nice materials and a "pure Google" design and experience. Of course, A9 and Sailfish (now Pixel) associations don't help Google's case with these new phones.

On the subject of information that we deem less than completely reliable, one of our sources claims Google plans to market the Pixel and Pixel XL as the first phones built by Google. This seems a bit disingenuous. We remain completely certain the Pixel and Pixel XL will be built by HTC - they'll merely lack HTC's branding. And while Google may be solely responsible for their industrial design, to insinuate that HTC was nothing but a manufacturing partner would probably be fiction. I would not be surprised if that relationship blurs the ODM/OEM lines far more than Google may suggest in its future marketing. But we'll have to wait and see.

Read more: Exclusive: Google's new phones will be called the Pixel and Pixel XL

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks Jack :)
I was wondering about this.
Well I wasn't left to wonder very long thanks to this post.
I read an article yesterday that was hinting at the odds of Google
just putting a big "G" on the phone after dropping the Nexus title, and my impression of that
was not good, I thought it would be vane of google to do that. I like the Pixel title it fits.
A lot better than a big "G" plastered on the phone lol
I have to admit though I did like the Nexus title though it was kind of cool.
Great Share.

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Its future Name should be linked to the progress it had since their last Nexus : Pixel, only, is not a progress

=> For example : some Frog, sheep, cat's , penguins had an evolution that allows them to be here at MT, and read, post, almost understand every subject, thread post, and certain can even answer !!!
=> it Could give the Idea to Google to chose a beautiful animal (like us ) for their next phone :oops:
We, animals superior should make a petition ...!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No more questions for specifications since it can be good as always, due to cheap materials that can easily produce and use for users.

The problem here rely on name ---> Pixel is more on Camera thing and that appeal may lose it up.

Reactions: DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.