Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
12 new uses for old smartphones and tablets:

As we all know, a smartphone is more than a device for making calls. (It might surprise some people that they can actually be used to talk to one another using one's very own voice.) They are more like little pocket computers; tablets are their glorified cousins. So instead of putting them to pasture, you can give them a retirement job instead. Geoffrey A. Fowler at The Wall Street Journal got this ball rolling for me with his suggestions, and I’ve added many more from my own experience. (If you know of others, leave them in the comments.)...

10104822523_c864680151_b.jpg

Many uses don’t require breaking them open, just operation system updates and app downloads, as Fowler notes, "the hardest part may be finding the old charging cable.”...

• Security system
    As more people invest in security systems to spy on the nanny or catch the antics of pets when left alone, an old Wi-Fi capable phone can stand in for some high-tech voyeurism.
    Fowler suggests a free app called Manything, which can transform an old Apple or Android phone into a security camera.
  • Fire alarm
    With the free app called CleverLoop Smokey, your old phone becomes a fire alarm, of sorts. As soon as it hears your smoke detector go off, it sends you a text.
  • Jukebox
    I know many people have advanced ways of storing and playing their music, but some of us are more simple. (Again, me.) I loaded up most of my music on an old phone and have it plugged in to a compact Bose system that belts out my favorites. I concocted this system when my iPod died; I had an old phone, it saved me from buying another iPod. This would be a nice solution for someone wanting music in another room apart from where their main sound system lives, like the bedroom or kitchen.
To read this article in full, and to see the remaining 9 uses please visit the link at the top of the page

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can use upon developing programs. ;)

But in such typical users, everything will use as alarm clock ;) very useful at all and especially using the organizing tools for checklist.

Reactions: Logethica

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
For all the old tablet/smartphone, I plug them into my Raspberry Pi 3 and I got myself a Linux Computer :D.

So small I can pocket it myself. :cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.