gricardo21´s config

kiric96

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
here is the replacement for my old entry about my config... mmm well i use bitdefender because i think it meets my criteria (for decent antimalware), i dont use any backup software except from my hard disk (everyting important is stored there, it is a 1TB DD) and also since i have 2 pc´s, the chances that "some malware" will destroy my docs are almost none (in the rare case one pc is infected, the other one contains pretty much the same docs and config). in both pcs the software installed and the config is the same.

i have EEK in a usb, but i dont use it for personal purpose but for clean up others pc (my classmates, other people etc). I manully install updates since i hate the fact that if you dont do it manually the next restart you have to die until your pc finish to install all updates.

For bitdefender: autoscan: off
realtime protection: medium
IDS, AVC: maximum
disable ssl scan (if on webpages will load slower)
search advisor: off

programs installed:
i dont install every program that i find on the web (if i am too curious about a given software i use a virtual machine before install)
opera as a main browser, some programing tools (like visual, ADS, netbeans, sql etc), wise cleaner, some video games and just that.

well if you ask me i use one pc for university task and the other one for fun (the other pc is an intel celeron b800, 4GB ram 500DD)

i format my pc every 6 months (both of them)

here is my machine and the old one

PDT: important stuff like critical docs and photos go to the cloud onedrive or gdrive, a backup plan is set only in my smartphone. Norton and comodo dns are set in the router

Last edited:

kiric96

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I like it, you cant go wrong with BitDefender
I would add a second opinion scanner though, for that "just incase" senario.
Consider a backup browser maybe.
Thanks for sharing
thx for mentioning, i use mozila as a seconf browser, since opera some times dies in the act xD but recently i havent faced any problem with opera

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@gricardo21, your Lenovo Flex 2 (I <clicked> on it) is very impressive and clean looking with nice specs!:)

As you enjoy using Opera, coincidentally I've used and liked it a lot myself. You might be interested in the new and constantly improving Vivaldi browser. Here's their story Our Story – Vivaldi
I just downloaded it before finding your new configuration. I find it every bit as crip and vivid as Opera, and wonder if you just might like it too.:cool:
I also happened to install Bitdefender for Windows 8.1 on a VM!
Coincidence or fate?o_O :rolleyes::D

Thanks for sharing your very thorough configuration!!:):)

kiric96

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
@gricardo21, your Lenovo Flex 2 (I <clicked> on it) is very impressive and clean looking with nice specs!:)

As you enjoy using Opera, coincidentally I've used and liked it a lot myself. You might be interested in the new and constantly improving Vivaldi browser. Here's their story Our Story – Vivaldi
I just downloaded it before finding your new configuration. I find it every bit as crip and vivid as Opera, and wonder if you just might like it too.:cool:
I also happened to install Bitdefender for Windows 8.1 on a VM!
Coincidence or fate?o_O :rolleyes::D

Thanks for sharing your very thorough configuration!!:):)

ohh as always thank you for your kind words, well i know vivaldi, i have keep an eye on them since time ago, i am going to try it. Well the reason i switch to opera was because other browsers use to EAT resources from my old celeron laptop (a samsung one), so after trying a lot of browsers i found that opera was the best in terms of resources, but know since i have two pc i like the idea to turn off one and keep going with the other one, so that is the main reason i havent changed my main browser (browser sync).

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have some suggestions:
- update bitdefender to the later versions (2016-2017)
- remove bitdefender trafficlight because you already have BIS -> replace it with Avira Browser safety because they are equally good -> double web protection

kiric96

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I have some suggestions:
- update bitdefender to the later versions (2016-2017)
- remove bitdefender trafficlight because you already have BIS -> replace it with Avira Browser safety because they are equally good -> double web protection

have problems with central account, so that is why i am still with 2015 ver. Bitdefender 2015/2016/2017 seems to have problems with opera beta (bitdefender wont block pages that wil normally be banned on mozila or chrome) that is why i am using the plugin, thx for the avira suggestion but i dont like the shopping improvement "feature"

Reactions: Logethica

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
have problems with central account, so that is why i am still with 2015 ver. Bitdefender 2015/2016/2017 seems to have problems with opera beta (bitdefender wont block pages that wil normally be banned on mozila or chrome) that is why i am using the plugin, thx for the avira suggestion but i dont like the shopping improvement "feature"
you can easily disable those useless features in avira configuration, also disable "indication..." something I forgot

Reactions: askmark and kiric96

kiric96

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
you can easily disable those useless features in avira configuration, also disable "indication..." something I forgot
yes i know, i used avira plugin when i switched to opera, since bitdefender traffic light doesnt support my browser (only firefox and chrome), but after several test (some times avira will block a link but a minute later will let it load, the shopping "feature" and so on) i decided to move back to bitdefender, thanks god that there is a plugin to port chrome stuff to opera :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.