Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
1. Teamviewer has been working great for me on Gryphon, but recently I'm getting booted off randomly after just a few minutes and Teamviewer doesn't seem to like the way the traffic is being handled and labeled it as corporate usage. Tried Anydesk as well and the same thing happened. Is anyone experiencing this?

2. I have to send a wifi signal to a remote part of my property about a quarter of a mile to a location I use for AirBNB. I was thinking about replacing my Asus routers at both locations with Gryphons at both locations to gain better control over the usage but setting this up, to begin with, was pretty difficult (for me at least). I was wondering if Gryphon would be able to handle this (love my Gryphon but some of the lack of advanced features can be a bit frustrating). The device I'm using to accomplish my wireless bridge is the "Bridge-in-a-Box" by Cambium Networks. (Amazon Product Link for Specs). Any advice here would be great!
1) Gryphon doesn't have anything to do with that. Teamviewer and other products detect corporate use by seeing if the PC they are installed on is on a corporate domain, with a AD, and secondary they check for the IP address (statics, etc).

2) No clue on this, but really, it shouldn't be a problem because you can backhaul the mesh. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Although Gryphon lacks some of the prosumer features (they are coming) at this time, it still should work fine in most setups. Things like pointing the DNS to a local DNS server and such aren't options (yet). Neither are manual RRP and other things. Hopefully soon!

This last major firmware update was absolutely fantastic, so I have some confidence they will get it where it needs to be. I've recently seen Gryphon on the top 20 Home IoT stuff on Amazon so it looks like it's picking up steam. Also the reviews on it at third party tech sites have been really good.

Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Well the wireless throughput was really amazing. He has 1GB optical and with AC devices (depending on range) I measured up to 600Mbs on 5Ghz and up to 300 Mbs with N devices on 2.4 Ghz. When I see such throughput levels, it potentially pushes the buy button in my brain, but the lack of a USB is a deal killer (need it for NAS).

Tfalwell

I reached out to Gryphon customer support & opened a ticket but wanted to ask this group. Has anyone else had a problem with the Ad Blocker not working at all? It did at first, but then I had to turn it off b/c I couldn't access something important but ever since I turned it back on it hasn't worked. Tried power cycling, turning it off and on again, but nothing seems to work.

blackice

Level 11
Verified
I reached out to Gryphon customer support & opened a ticket but wanted to ask this group. Has anyone else had a problem with the Ad Blocker not working at all? It did at first, but then I had to turn it off b/c I couldn't access something important but ever since I turned it back on it hasn't worked. Tried power cycling, turning it off and on again, but nothing seems to work.
I’ve had the opposite problem. It’s pretty aggressive. It blocks a lot of email promo links, or streaming apps due to their ad partners. Also blocks Malwarebytes from talking to their license server, which isn’t a big deal for me. Odd that you’ve seen it not work at all.

notoriousbgp

Anyone know why gryphon allows the download of fake malware files? Previously i was also able to download eicar test files until they reclassified the site and blocked it. This is another sample site - Take The Test - Test Your Metal by Fortinet

Is it because it only detects the malware once installed on your pc? It does not have any inspection like traditional IPS?

Reactions: AtlBo

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
Well the wireless throughput was really amazing. He has 1GB optical and with AC devices (depending on range) I measured up to 600Mbs on 5Ghz and up to 300 Mbs with N devices on 2.4 Ghz. When I see such throughput levels, it potentially pushes the buy button in my brain, but the lack of a USB is a deal killer (need it for NAS).
NetUSB is a big threat surface, so it's not likely it will be re-engineered to have it. Remember, the Gryphon is a hardened security device, and ignoring any threat surfaces would nullify their claim of being a hardened security device.

Anyone know why gryphon allows the download of fake malware files? Previously i was also able to download eicar test files until they reclassified the site and blocked it. This is another sample site - Take The Test - Test Your Metal by Fortinet

Is it because it only detects the malware once installed on your pc? It does not have any inspection like traditional IPS?
Gryphon doesn't uncompress files to scan for malware. This is why only the first test on the Fortinet Metal site passes (plain text malware). Interestingly enough, what the Metal Site doesn't tell you is most Fortigate devices will also FAIL that test unless they are specifically configured to pass it.

notoriousbgp

NetUSB is a big threat surface, so it's not likely it will be re-engineered to have it. Remember, the Gryphon is a hardened security device, and ignoring any threat surfaces would nullify their claim of being a hardened security device.

Gryphon doesn't uncompress files to scan for malware. This is why only the first test on the Fortinet Metal site passes (plain text malware). Interestingly enough, what the Metal Site doesn't tell you is most Fortigate devices will also FAIL that test unless they are specifically configured to pass it.
It actually did not detect the plain text eicar test virus file. It passed the ‘clean’ plain text file. Has anyone experienced actual malware from being detected apart from the known malware sites?

simmerskool

Level 7
Verified
Malware Tester
IIRC this is the second time I've gone to Fortinet Take the Test site, and gee, that page opens but otherwise dead to me, 0/18 "Are you sure your FireWall is correctly configured?" Not fails, just nothing runs that Fortinet is trying to test, I guess. I could try to figure out what to untangle to make tests run, or just leave my metal as is -- I think my metal maker is antagonistic (competitor) to Fortinet. :emoji_thinking:

Reactions: AtlBo and Burrito

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
I found if you unblock eicar.org you are able to download plain text anti virus file - http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

Eset antivirus should block it. Question is what eset product is gryphon using? Is it just the malware database website blocking and not the true nod32/smart security products?
Gryphon (or any consumer grade UTM) isn't going to scan actual actual files for malware. It looks for malware indicators and uses the ESET Enterprise Dataset for HTTP/S detection of threats. If you want actual files scanned you'll need something like a NGFW/UTM from Fortinet, Sonicwall, etc.

The IPS/ML aspect looks for anomalies outside of the normal parameters for the IoT device it is protecting. The ESET Enterprise Dataset looks for malware indicators, but isn't going to unpack malware to scan for it.

The Fortinet test is useless unless you have a full NGFW/UTM w/Root Certificate installed. Even Untangle with max settings only scores 6 out of 10 on it if I remember back when I tested it.

notoriousbgp

Gryphon (or any consumer grade UTM) isn't going to scan actual actual files for malware. It looks for malware indicators and uses the ESET Enterprise Dataset for HTTP/S detection of threats. If you want actual files scanned you'll need something like a NGFW/UTM from Fortinet, Sonicwall, etc.

The IPS/ML aspect looks for anomalies outside of the normal parameters for the IoT device it is protecting. The ESET Enterprise Dataset looks for malware indicators, but isn't going to unpack malware to scan for it.

The Fortinet test is useless unless you have a full NGFW/UTM w/Root Certificate installed. Even Untangle with max settings only scores 6 out of 10 on it if I remember back when I tested it.
Okay makes sense, reread their press release which i understand uses ESET’s database just for preventing access to malicious sites and not inspecting the files. And they have their own AI/ML protection for IoT devices.

Gryphon also protects all connected devices such as webcams and smart thermostats from being hacked using intelligent machine learning. Now with ESET’s threat database technology, Gryphon completes the network protection by detecting and blocking malware, ransomware, and phishing sites for every device at the network level.

DeepWeb

Level 24
Verified
I finally did it! I bought a Gryphon Router! :D I was out to buy a new router because Jesus the At&t Gateways are just horrible and the other routers on the market leave me suspicious about their firmware support and security updates. My wifi has been my achilles heel for too long not just security but also perfomance. I stream my games to other displays in my home and the occassional stutter has been a game breaking frustrating experience since I relied on a WiFi extender to relay the signal. No more!

DeepWeb

Level 24
Verified
I signed up for the marketing email for an early look. I’m quite curious since I just got one as well. It would be a bummer if they release a new model right when so many people just got on board.
From the wording it sounds like they are going to offer a service that keeps you protected no matter where you are. VPN?

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

Tfalwell

Yeah, maybe rebranding and bundling the Homebound app. My upload speeds are too slow, not to mention bandwidth caps, for me to use it. I’ll be interested to see what it is, whatever it is.
I'm 99% sure this will be hardware, which kinda sucks for me since I just bought this unit a few months ago. Oh well, they are offering a deep discount so that's nice.

This was the giveaway for the hardware piece: "Gryphon Guardian will be Mesh Compatible with the previous Gryphon" which was at the bottom of Gryphon Guardian Exclusive - Gryphon