DeepWeb

Level 24
Verified
Ooooh wow. I didn't know you had to directly connect it to your modem via ethernet. I thought the app would be advanced enough to allow the Gryphon to connect to my gateway wirelessly... -_-
It's supposed to protect IoTs but it's not an IoT...

DeepWeb

Level 24
Verified
It’s a router.
Eh! That is not an excuse in 2019. Google WiFi and other wireless routers/repeaters and extenders allow you to establish a connection to your gateway wirelessly like TP-Link. I needed the router to work on the other side of the house so I obviously couldn't get a long ethernet cable.

ANYWAY! I fixed it. :D I set the WiFi extender to DMZ mode and connected it to the Internet port on my Gryphon it will think that it's connected to the actual gateway modem. We must go deeper!

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
I don't even think you are setting this up correctly..

You attach the Gryphon to your primary MODEM. Scan the QR code on the bottom. Once it is up and running, you take a second Gryphon, move that to another area of the home, plug it into power (but ethernet aka backhaul is not necessary). Once it is online you select ADD MESH UNIT to Gryphon and then scan the QR code on the mesh unit. They will sync up and provide internet anywhere in the home, and the mesh unit needs nothing other than power.

Extenders are trash. I'd remove them from the house. With Gryphon they are not needed and will likely cause interference issues.

blackice

Level 10
Verified
Eh! That is not an excuse in 2019. Google WiFi and other wireless routers/repeaters and extenders allow you to establish a connection to your gateway wirelessly like TP-Link. I needed the router to work on the other side of the house so I obviously couldn't get a long ethernet cable.

ANYWAY! I fixed it. :D I set the WiFi extender to DMZ mode and connected it to the Internet port on my Gryphon it will think that it's connected to the actual gateway modem. We must go deeper!
Ah, I see and use a router differently. I only use modems as true modems. Thankfully my ISP allows the use of a privately owned modem. I wouldn’t use a gateway unless it was forced on me, I like having a separate modem and router. If I had a gateway I would set it to modem only or bridge mode if at all possible.

Reactions: Correlate

DeepWeb

Level 24
Verified
I don't even think you are setting this up correctly..

You attach the Gryphon to your primary MODEM. Scan the QR code on the bottom. Once it is up and running, you take a second Gryphon, move that to another area of the home, plug it into power (but ethernet aka backhaul is not necessary). Once it is online you select ADD MESH UNIT to Gryphon and then scan the QR code on the mesh unit. They will sync up and provide internet anywhere in the home, and the mesh unit needs nothing other than power.

Extenders are trash. I'd remove them from the house. With Gryphon they are not needed and will likely cause interference issues.
I only bought one. I already set it up with no issues or interference. But WiFi Calling and Text messaging through Wi-Fi is giving me strange issues. I will probably contact support to look into this.

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
Ah, I see and use a router differently. I only use modems as true modems. Thankfully my ISP allows the use of a privately owned modem. I wouldn’t use a gateway unless it was forced on me, I like having a separate modem and router. If I had a gateway I would set it to modem only or bridge mode if at all possible.
This ^^^... I would only use my own modem, and like Blackice, I would bridge anything the ISP forced onto me. Both for security and privacy reasons. Traditionally, with carriers like AT&T (NSA) I would bridge their gear off to the Gryphon behind it. For Comcast, I would either bridge it, or set the Comcast TG/DF into 'True Static Mode' (Disable firewall features for true static) which basically sets the TG/DG to a simple router mode. If at all possible it is best to avoid ISP gear and ISP DNS.

Kubla

Level 7
Verified
That is basically what I did:

I set my cable modem/router to modem only, I had a Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900 Router, I set it to bridge mode to use it with the Gryphon basically as an extender/expand'er on the other side of the house with a pair of TP-Link Powerline adapters between the two, (to avoid having to run CAT cable across the house) it works great.

blackice

Level 10
Verified
@Slyguy have you heard anything about what is in the firmware update they just released? I keep badgering them about providing a change log. They continue to “take the suggestion to management”.

Trailerman

Was just about to order Gryphon primarily as a home network firewall and stumbled on this awesome thread.

So is Gryphon Guardian a likely replacement for Gryphon? I'm thinking probably best to hold off purchasing if the whole hardware framework is about to be replaced. Any thoughts?

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
I don't think anyone has any idea what Gryphon Guardian is... If it is more powerful than a Gryphon I'd be super impressed because as it sites, Gryphon is a monster already.

I recently got sent a router to test, Razor Sila.. Nice router, but the signal coverage and speed were 12-18% less than Gryphon. Which doesn't sound like much, but it meant that wireless devices at the end of my home had poor to no coverage from losing that 18% range.

You can get a Gryphon Refurb unit for pretty cheap.

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
If you are on the fence about Gryphon because of the Gryphon Guardian Announcement, I wouldn't wait unless you have a smaller home and don't need the power.

Support indicated to me that they both run on the same OS, but the Guardian will be smaller and less range, but also cheaper. So my guess is, Guardian is really there to compete with the cheaper, lower end routers while still offering premium protection and features. I suspect it will perform like the $40-$100 routers from Asus, Netgear, etc. But with all of the security and advantages of Gryphon. That last part is my speculation.

blackice

Level 10
Verified
If you are on the fence about Gryphon because of the Gryphon Guardian Announcement, I wouldn't wait unless you have a smaller home and don't need the power.

Support indicated to me that they both run on the same OS, but the Guardian will be smaller and less range, but also cheaper. So my guess is, Guardian is really there to compete with the cheaper, lower end routers while still offering premium protection and features. I suspect it will perform like the $40-$100 routers from Asus, Netgear, etc. But with all of the security and advantages of Gryphon. That last part is my speculation.
Good intel as always from @Slyguy Thanks for the hot tip.

Trailerman

Great info - huge thanks!

an_and

Amazing thread, with a lot of info. This helped me buy Gryphon a couple of weeks back (including exhorbitant shipping costs).

Some comments / learnings and questions below

a. My house has concrete walls, and despite it being only 1800 squarefeet, i still need the mesh setup to reach every corner. And in some corners the bar is only one or two. So, I am happy that I atleast bought this mesh setup instead of the single one. As a side note, I had linksys velop earlier (3 node) and i could get full bars across the house.

b. When I first set it, i set up malware protection to max, and nothing worked. Only when I reset it to only essentials, am I getting some consistent speed. What is the recommended settings, and what do the experts use.

c. I am unable to see the ad blocker option activated on the app. Any ideas on what could have been done wrong or why is that not working?

d. When I check on history, I only see youtube.com or google only the main site address. This is not at all helpful for me, if I want to monitor my kid every once a while to see what kind of content is he seeing. Is this the same for everyone else? I saw somewhere visual history, but in my app, it allows me to only view it as a list, and the list is pretty useless.

Last edited:

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
A) Normal. Construction really impacts it. Velop has three mesh units but 2 Gryphon's should be the equivalent.
B) I never heard of this. Everyone I know runs malware protection on maximum (including me) with no issue. Strange.
C) No clue! Maybe reach out to support within the app.
D) History is top level domain only (TLD). Anything deeper, and Gryphon would have to start examining packets, and in doing so, it would not only impact your privacy but it could in theory break a lot of sites. By using SNI/Header information to ascertain sites (since SNI/Headers aren't encrypted), Gryphon can do this safely. I am unaware of any product that examines deeper levels than this that doesn't require a root certificate on each device. (Untangle, Fortinet, Juniper, etc)