Slyguy

Level 43
New app release today - two factor authentication security!

To me, this is a very important inclusion. Given the relative un-hackability of Gryphon as it stands, adding this largely places it into the untouchable realm. As anyone attempting to hack the Gryphon would not only need physical access to the Gryphon device itself in your home (to get the authentication number from the bottom which is NOT stored offsite), but your account credentials, and now your two factor authentication key.

Slyguy

Level 43
With the new update my manually entered DNS no longer works. Has anyone else had this issue? I’m waiting for a response from support.
Strange, I don't have this issue - and I'd be all over it if it came up. I never use default ISP DNS. (nor should anyone else!) However, these days I use a device that fully encrypts all Port53 (outbound) DNS from my subnet because DNS spying is a huge telemetry gathering system.

Nevertheless, no issues here with custom DNS on Gryphon. Maybe clear app cache and try again?

blackice

Level 15
Verified
Strange, I don't have this issue - and I'd be all over it if it came up. I never use default ISP DNS. (nor should anyone else!) However, these days I use a device that fully encrypts all Port53 (outbound) DNS from my subnet because DNS spying is a huge telemetry gathering system.

Nevertheless, no issues here with custom DNS on Gryphon. Maybe clear app cache and try again?
Yeah they seem baffled. If I run a leak test I get responses from both the manual DNS and the ISP. I am probably going to have to factory reset it when I have time this weekend. The gryphon support is responsive, but seems to not be sure why it’s happening. Also getting the canned responses assuming I am an average joe who doesn’t understand the basics slows things down, though I get why that’s how support works.

blackice

Level 15
Verified

Did two factory resets. And still checking the DNS on dnsleaktest.com or any other simple test the ISP DNS shows up. Something seems borked. Kind of surprised and disappointed. Still haven’t heard back from support since they asked me to double check my settings... I think they don’t know what’s wrong. They are usually very responsive.

Cortex

Level 16
Verified
It works OK here, I had a few devices that neded reassigning after the app update but that's all - Maybe support are putting their thinking caps on? - Had a email from Gryphon yesterday asking if I was having any issues?

blackice

Level 15
Verified
It works OK here, I had a few devices that neded reassigning after the app update but that's all - Maybe support are putting their thinking caps on? - Had a email from Gryphon yesterday asking if I was having any issues?
Out of curiosity have you tested it recently? It worked fine for me until the update to the firmware last month. If I run the extended test on dnsleaktest.com it usually shows the manual DNS if I just restarted the router. But, if I run it a second time it starts showing the ISP DNS.

Cortex

Level 16
Verified
Out of curiosity have you tested it recently? It worked fine for me until the update to the firmware last month. If I run the extended test on dnsleaktest.com it usually shows the manual DNS if I just restarted the router. But, if I run it a second time it starts showing the ISP DNS.
I'll have a good look later when the other half goes out & they don't mind internet going off.

Cortex

Level 16
Verified
OK, interesting, I seem to have an identical issue: The router seems to have a mind of it's own, for example add Cisco - Some times in leak-test its the only entry, try again & my ISP now DNS shows up too - On leak-test extended usually on the last test shows up with both, it seems to be a router leak? Other sites show the same, restarting the router for a while sorts it then back to both DNS - I suspect support not responding is down to more than just you. There are two of us now at least. I'll contact support, as I'm not sure what to make of it? :unsure:

blackice

Level 15
Verified
OK, interesting, I seem to have an identical issue: The router seems to have a mind of it's own, for example add Cisco - Some times in leak-test its the only entry, try again & my ISP now DNS shows up too - On leak-test extended usually on the last test shows up with both, it seems to be a router leak? Other sites show the same, restarting the router for a while sorts it then back to both DNS - I suspect support not responding is down to more than just you. There are two of us now at least. I'll contact support, as I'm not sure what to make of it? :unsure:
I feel vindicated. They said they can’t replicate it, but I bet they didn’t try the test more than once. Might mention it happens after testing the first time.

Slyguy

Level 43
I think I know why I am not seeing this. I am using a device to encrypt DNS, which takes over authority of the forwarding DNS resolver. I only recently started using the device, but it was before the last firmware update - which may have been the one to introduce this issue.

I'll open a case with them as well to provide some weight behind the reporting of this since I can replicate now if I remove my encryptor unit.

blackice

Level 15
Verified
I think I know why I am not seeing this. I am using a device to encrypt DNS, which takes over authority of the forwarding DNS resolver. I only recently started using the device, but it was before the last firmware update - which may have been the one to introduce this issue.

I'll open a case with them as well to provide some weight behind the reporting of this since I can replicate now if I remove my encryptor unit.
Thanks for double checking. I felt like I was going crazy when they said they couldn’t replicate the issue.

Also this secretive device sounds intriguing.

Cortex

Level 16
Verified

Thanks for that - 2 (others thinking) family members with children have bought a Gryphon, I'm going this evening to assist with setting a new one up, I'll see if the issue occurs with that after up & running.

Last edited: