Guide on how to install and configure Comodo Firewall

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
The site seems to have some problems atm.

I did notice that. I thought it was because I was messing with my browser. :rolleyes:

It's probably just under maintenance and will be back to normal soon.

Edit: Seems fine now.

Reactions: frogboy

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Nice guide. Although you might want to mention that Comodo Geek Budy is optional and what the New Private Network Detected pop-up means.
The auto-sandbox might prevent some legit apps from running (still) so you might want to mention Defense+ -> Unrecognized Files. From that window users can submit files to comodo for analysis or treat them as Blocked/Trusted. Although this fits more in a "How to use" article.

One thing I don't agree with is disabling UAC in Win7. Even more disabling it completely.
  • It turns off protected mode in IE
  • It disables file/registry virtualization. In some (rare) cases users might loose the settings for apps that run only as admin. (Since Windows previously redirected settings stored in registry from HKLM\Software to HKCU\Software or settings files from Program Files to Users folder.)
I think it would be as easy to download TweakUAC and set it to "Switch UAC to quiet mode". This will disable the elevation prompts under the default account (running in admin approval mode) without the 2 disadvantages mentioned above.
If there are other accounts running as standard user they won't be affected.

Anyway, I am used to being the only one seeing a benefit in running as a standard user and UAC :)

Reactions: frogboy

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Very good article, maybe you could also mention that you can use the free trial of Geekbuddy to clean your computer and install Comodo rather than using hitman pro.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Comodo Internet Security version 6.0 was just released on the Comodo forums:
http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-internet-security-2013-v-602607392674-released-t89185.0.html

However, please do be aware that this new version will probably not be pushed as an automatic update to the previous version for a few weeks.

I've therefore updated this article for the new version. Please let me know what you think of it.

P

Plexx

Thanks for the update Chiron. Do you still happen to have the original guide for 5.8/5.10?

Reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is interested in Comodo and asked for a guide. He is on 5.12 as he is using Windows 8.

Thanks,

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I can tell you this: keep HIPS on safe mode or untrusted; pop-ups allowed. If you put it on heightened alert it will drive you nuts. The only flaw I have seen in CIS is that I was ignored often when I attempted to whitelist when HIPS was freaking out.

I think I used to keep the BB and auto-sandbox on "untrusted" and allow the BB to notify you with pop-ups. If you prevent notification via pop-up, then you are forced to allow all, or disallow all, if I remember right, and neither one of those are acceptable, in my opinion. You can play around with it a bit. It won't bite.

Last edited:
Reactions: nimd4

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I opted out of GEEK BUDDY, Killswitch, and Dragon. At least two of those can be axed during the installation process. Keep Killswitch if you need a process viewer/boss. Their virtualization feature is pretty cool.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
i'd been happily using Comodo firewall for about 4 years but clean installs of new versions were long and problematic until eventually v8 would not install (security agent would not start). I did raise this on the Comodo forums a while ago but noone could help, so any help here would be very appreciated.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I hate bringing a thread from 2011 back to life, but I didn't know where else to put this...
The "block all" toggle option for me is broken in glasswire in short i am getting a refund.
Has something to do with x64 systems I suspect, but is not a new issue to galsswire according to their support staff and threads.
I need another option and am going to DL Comodo Firewall to add to my config.
Is there someone that has, or can post the updated install and config instructions here on MT and link me to them ?
Preferably from someone that has used Comodo FW and is familiar with it in the year 2016 :)
Thanks for your help.
PeAcE
EDIT, I will chk back here in a bit, because I am downloading the firewall right now under data restriction.

Reactions: Logethica

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks Umbra buddy, the site is soo big my search for "Comodo Firewall" listed a large amount of results.
Good chance I missed that one lol. I will bookmark it for later access.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.