Guide | How To Guide on How to Stay Safe While Online

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Nige_40 said:
For me, on what I have been using. I have my search engine set for https://startpage.com/ and with that you can look at a page without opening it fully via ixquick proxy. Not only is that nothing stored like your IP etc.
Thanks, I recommend Startpage in my article about How to Protect Your Online Privacy.

Nige_40 said:
And for the 2nd one I have been using for a while is Matspoon (Closethedoor) < is the name of program and it shows your processes and if you see one you’re not sure scan it with closethe door you can kill it.
In my article about How to Know If Your Computer Is Infected I already advise people to use KillSwitch to do something very similar to this. It's also advised in my article about How to Clean an Infected Computer.

Nige_40 said:
In addition, my 3rd and final one is running a DNS service called Sendori not only it helps you get a steady internet service it helps you on typos in the address bar of your browser. For example I may type www.gogel.com Sendori corrects it and takes you to the right site of www.google.com. If I did not have Sendori for instance I would of types www.gogel.com and that would have lead me to a nasty site with a virus added/malware.
Thank you. It also appears that Sendori also protects you from certain phishing pages and malware pages. I'll definitely be testing out this service for future updates of my article.

Nige_40 said:
So all of those products I use and that is my setup.

You may all know on what I have typed already, but I just thought I share.

Regards

Nigel.
Thank you very much for sharing your setup. I really appreciate it.

N

Nige_40

Chiron said:
Nige_40 said:
For me, on what I have been using. I have my search engine set for https://startpage.com/ and with that you can look at a page without opening it fully via ixquick proxy. Not only is that nothing stored like your IP etc.
Thanks, I recommend Startpage in my article about How to Protect Your Online Privacy.

Nige_40 said:
And for the 2nd one I have been using for a while is Matspoon (Closethedoor) < is the name of program and it shows your processes and if you see one you’re not sure scan it with closethe door you can kill it.
In my article about How to Know If Your Computer Is Infected I already advise people to use KillSwitch to do something very similar to this. It's also advised in my article about How to Clean an Infected Computer.

Nige_40 said:
In addition, my 3rd and final one is running a DNS service called Sendori not only it helps you get a steady internet service it helps you on typos in the address bar of your browser. For example I may type www.gogel.com Sendori corrects it and takes you to the right site of www.google.com. If I did not have Sendori for instance I would of types www.gogel.com and that would have lead me to a nasty site with a virus added/malware.
Thank you. It also appears that Sendori also protects you from certain phishing pages and malware pages. I'll definitely be testing out this service for future updates of my article.

Nige_40 said:
So all of those products I use and that is my setup.

You may all know on what I have typed already, but I just thought I share.

Regards

Nigel.
Thank you very much for sharing your setup. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for info on Killswitch, and what to set for search engine. Your welcome on Sendori yeah its worth a look into.

Regards

Nigel

MidniteQue

Verified
Feb 4, 2013
This information is so valuable to us who have relied on McAfee or Norton (because that is what everyone does) to take care of the whole Internet problem. These tutorials are great for learning about what is going on out there and how to protect your computer, privacy and safety. The search engine is really helpful.
I did a search in the tutorials for Sendori and it sent me here. Loved the article. I'm thinking that Sendori could be a lot like the DNS protection programs you are writing about. From what I am reading on the web Sendori is a virus or malware program to avoid and get off my computer. It may be behind my heavy adware type malware infection.
I'm just learning about HIPS and DNS. If Sendori 'protection' is similar to the ones you are writing about it would be great if there was mention and warning about it.

MidniteQue

Verified
Feb 4, 2013
OH sorry. I just read the previous posts (I hadn't read the last page of posts......my bad). Here's the mention of Sendori I was looking for. The research I am reading reveals Sendori to be a sort of middle man to advertisers. For several thousand a merchant seller can sort of park in Sendori and Sendori will sneak their stuff into browser advertisements for a month. It completely takes over the DNS of the person who has it on computer. As spyware it keeps track of habits and such about person on computer. Also I read that it leaves one vulnerable to Trojan attack and such. Plus it is near impossible to uninstall...a sign to me of 'keep off the computer'.
I've had it on my computers for some time and am now reading error logs and see that it may be the reason for hardware problems I am having. 6 month old computer and wifi, some hardware and my HP assistance all seem to be conflicting with Sendori.

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Verified
Jun 29, 2015
Chiron, I think the article is super useful and I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Have you thought of making a downloadable version of it that users can keep and come back to when they need something specific from the article?

I, for one, would find that useful.

Thanks for sharing this awesome resource!

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Verified
Jun 29, 2015
I've created a guide about How to Stay Safe While Online.

Please check it out and leave any feedback in the comments section of the site.

Thanks.

Great guide, Chiron!

I really enjoyed it and I think it offers a useful and actionable plan for home users who want to improve their online security.

Just one quick idea related to "Use A Single Program Which Incorporates All Of The Above Technologies" - I don't think that current threats can be blocked or filtered through just one security solution. Your article itself shows the benefits of a multi-layered approach to personal cyber security, which, in my opinion, is the way to go.

One more thing I'd add is the emphasis on traffic filtering through DNS-based products. I think that too few people know how this security measure can help prevent cyber attacks (if the user chooses a reliable solution, of course).

I hope this feedback comes in handy.

Thanks again for sharing this resource!

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd

Jake Miguel

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2016
Good read! Thanks for posting it.

But what about phones? like iPhones or other Android operated phones? do you know anything about its security risk when you go online or is it fully safe to have iOS and MAC operating system other than Windows or android (which is open and can get attacked by viruses easily unless you have really strict firewall settings or security product at hand)?

Like I was concerned when I bought iPhone and read a lot of news regarding iphone and vpns and how to keep your online journey safe and without leaving trace of your ips so hackers can't access you or hack you. Anyway, when I bought this vpn product & I read alot on their and some other reviews websites like iPhone VPN regarding my concerns and it helped me. You should read it too and add more on about phones (Android & iOS) since a lot of internet users access most of the online content through their phones rather than their laptops or other form of pcs.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Very good article as usual Chiron, and I've always found you very helpful in the past, whether on Gizmo's or Comodo forums. but I just know that whenever I see your name, recommendations for various Comodo products will soon follow, sure as night follows day. Are there any NON COMODO security products that you could suggest instead of CIS? I used it for some time but, despite following your uninstall/clean install guide to the letter, each attempted installation of a new version became more troublesome until repeated BSOD'S with v8 and too many other issues to mention (and yes, I went through in detail what happened on your forums a couple of years back but help was conspicuous by its absence) meant I had no choice but to give up on Comodo. Now I won't touch CIS with a barge pole.

DarkLense

Level 1
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
I don't agree with stealing someone else text, but if you changed it according to your own opinion it has to be better. Lets not forget that the aim of the article is to inform people...

Draygoes

Level 1
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
Very nice article! I rated it as per request on the website.
You should probably add some info related to torrenting. People are still going to do it, and although I do not feel as bad for them when they get infected, not helping them still helps out the malware creators.

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.