Hackers attack Wi-Fi at airports and other public places with fake network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Thread author
If you are using Wi-Fi at airports and other public places, your account may at risk The hackers set up fake Wi-Fi networks with names like "LAX Free WI-FI", ,enticing people with laptops, smartphones, tablets, or other devices to access the internet through their bogus network. This results in your account compromised. Attackers...
Read More

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Not a very original cyber attack idea, I remember reading about this type of attack in 2008 also .........A good lesson would be here : Nothing good is FREE in life...
And yes ,Of course you should not connect to unknown WIFI spots or even worse enter your personal data when doing this type of actions..... Any idea on how many people were scammed by this cheap trick ?

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Well Jack you're wrong, some things in life are free, like "the giveaway from here", back on topic... this is not new, has been done many times and always seems to be successful as a good portion of users are likely to get stung.

My City where I live is opening up free Wi-Fi zones in the town centre, so it does happen... :p

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
My experience:
I never use wifi with a name that is not clear in public places (malls)

Back when I understood less about security on mobile phones, I was looking for wifi with my nokia phone, and I saw on a list a wifi hotspot with a weird name.
I connected to a wifi hotspot and then I was immediately redirected to suspicious websites. so I was very confused. Luckily enough a friend advised me, to immediately turn off the phone.
He restored the phone to its factory settings and everything was fine, since then, I never used wifi in public areas.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well I bet this would also happen in public librarys as well.

I

illumination

Thread author
You all are correct, it is not anything new, has been done before, but there are many that are not aware that these type things can and will happen, so basically, just an "eye opening" type post for those not aware.. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A user must be vigilant and aware that using a network in public with least security could led to a problem. Simple way but can prevent any incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.