Privacy News Hackers Deface Canon Security Cameras in Japan

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Hackers have defaced tens of Canon security cameras across Japan, local media reported, printing the phrase "I'm Hacked. bye2" on the video feeds of affected devices.

Many defacements took place on Sunday, May 6, according to screengrabs from hacked devices, but there are reports that similar incidents have been taking place for weeks, since mid-April, according to posts on Japanese social networks.

Officials from the cities of Yachiyo and Ageo, some of the first hacking victims last month, admitted to having failed to change the cameras' default passwords.
Canon Japan issued a security note on April 26, after the first reports of defacements, advising customers to change the default passwords.

Japanese users and authorities reported finding defaced cameras monitoring public places, government buildings, waterways, a fish market in Hiroshima, a care facility for the disabled in Kobe, and at the private headquarters of a company in Naha.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
BryaaaaaaaaaaaanBBBBBBBBB:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Security in public facilities in Japan seems to be not considered so seriously except important ones.
If you say "everyone's belongs to no one", it seems like everyone thinks that there is no problem if there is no harm to themselves.
There are many people who think that "Although it is nervous to garbage in the garden at home, even if the road in front of the house is dirty, it does not matter."

It's Shameful.:unsure:

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
I swear every time I see a article like this, I am hoping in my head they were not gullible enough to still have default credentials especially if you're protecting something sensitive. However, nope every time I am proven wrong lol. How many hack's will it take for people to start changing the default credentials

Reactions: Weebarra

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Most Japanese will not take any action, even if you look at this article, except for those who have installed the camera at home and some people who are security sensitive. It may be a national character of the Japanese. For some reason many people have "unfounded confidence" and are living thinking "I am OK." I believe there was a case of Bitcoin loss in the extension of that consciousness.
The basis of security is vigilance against user's danger. Excellent security software and hardware means that it amplifies its waryness and operates concretely.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.