Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Around 1,400 passengers of the Polish airline LOT have been grounded at Warsaw Chopin airport after hackers attacked the airline ground computer systems used to issue flight plans, the company said.

The computer system was hacked on Sunday afternoon and fixed after about five hours, during which 10 of the state-owned carrier’s national and international flights were cancelled and about a dozen more delayed, spokesman Adrian Kubicki said.

LOT was taking care of the passengers on Sunday evening and some were already able to board flights. The airline said it was providing hotels for those who needed to stay overnight.

At no point was the safety of ongoing flights compromised, Kubicki said, and flights destined for Warsaw were able to land safely. No other airports were affected, he added.

“We’re using state-of-the-art computer systems, so this could potentially be a threat to others in the industry,” Kubicki said. The attack is now being investigated by the authorities.

The airport itself was not affected, its spokesman said.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
"State of the art" during what time period though? I've been to that area of the world and saw a lot of things that were top notch..in a different decade. Either way, I'm glad they got everything sorted out.
Well the article was posted today,so I assume current technology!?
Nevertheless, they could be using Win XP and calling that state of the art!!:p:p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
First and foremost, they can use Linux at any measures; besides of system incompatibility that can manage by developers to adjust.

Because if small business like on what I've encountered on a store and fast food chain which uses Ubuntu Linux then bigger industry may do that.

Reduce the cost and better security enhancement.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I hate heights and therefore I hate the idea of being on a plane. This just makes me not want to get on one even more. Too many crashes recently. I don't plan on leaving Pennsylvania for so called "opportunities" anyway. No reason for me to even touch a plane let alone get on one. I want to die on the ground, not into the ground.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I hate heights and therefore I hate the idea of being on a plane. This just makes me not want to get on one even more. Too many crashes recently. I don't plan on leaving Pennsylvania for so called "opportunities" anyway. No reason for me to even touch a plane let alone get on one. I want to die on the ground, not into the ground.
I am with you on this one. :eek::eek:

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015

I hate to tell you this, but you're far safer up there. Listen, for every crashed plane the media shows on TV, several thousand landed safe and sound. You ought to know that the media makes everything sound dangerous, it's their thing. Your survival chances in a crash are also much higher, especially if you hit water. It's much easier to prepare a safer landing falling from 30k feet at 700 mph than hitting something 30 feet away at 25 mph. There's time to correct, time to brace,, time to make a possible glide in, etc.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I hate to tell you this, but you're far safer up there. Listen, for every crashed plane the media shows on TV, several thousand landed safe and sound. You ought to know that the media makes everything sound dangerous, it's their thing. Your survival chances in a crash are also much higher, especially if you hit water. It's much easier to prepare a safer landing falling from 30k feet at 700 mph than hitting something 30 feet away at 25 mph. There's time to correct, time to brace,, time to make a possible glide in, etc.

Oh I know this. I'd just rather not be scared out of my mind and potentially die at the same time. While I was in school I went on a field trip to Maryland to a Civil War battleground. We climbed up a 50ft Union tower and I was not ok up there. I don't think my breathing was normal either. Heights would kill me in form of a heart attack whether it landed safety or not. It's one of those fears that I will never get over. Damn teachers forced me up that thing. I was only 9 at the time.

The moral of the story is, I'd rather die on the ground, than high in the air. It's a matter of feeling safer than actually being safer if that makes sense. If someone stabs me on the street or I get into a car crash, fine. Just don't put me in a helicopter or plane to transport me to the hospital unless I'm way out of it. I'd have a panic attack and simple die at that point if I was awake. My city has a helicopter which is great for emergencies but I'd rather bleed out in an ambulance if I was awake and aware, thank you. lol I doubt if I was in such a state that would require that kind of transport that I would have to worry about that kind of thing.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Nah, if you're bleeding out you don't particularly care how high or low you are, lol, I can say that from experience. You just have a simple fear of heights. It's something that can be gotten through with time and will though. In the meantime, I'll gladly take crashing in a 787 over crashing in a Kia thanks.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Nah, if you're bleeding out you don't particularly care how high or low you are, lol, I can say that from experience. You just have a simple fear of heights. It's something that can be gotten through with time and will though. In the meantime, I'll gladly take crashing in a 787 over crashing in a Kia thanks.

Fair enough for the first part but I have to disagree with the rest for many many reasons (personal reasons). For majority of people, what you said is true, just not for me.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The results unfortunately would be the same!!;)

It's much easier to prepare a safer landing falling from 30k feet at 700 mph than hitting something 30 feet away at 25 mph. There's time to correct, time to brace,, time to make a possible glide in, etc.
True,but it depends who's flying the plane!
If it was Captain Sully I would be on his aircraft anyday:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

But,I would not have wanted to be on this flight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

Neverteless flying is safer than driving your car,but it is understadable how people can be afraid of flying!!
Thanks!!:)

Last edited:

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Well certainly it's understandable, everything is out of your hands and people don't much like loss of control. Plus, hey, death kinda bites, right? Lol. I'm just going by statistics and what it takes to totally destroy an airliner vs the little it takes to destroy these aluminum cans we call cars today. Find yourself in a 37 Chevy coupe and the game changes a bit, but yeah.

Reactions: Venustus

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@OokamiCreed : Well I understand your feeling about the possibility of those situation, but you need a faith + optimistic and choose a reliable airlines to go on a place you want. Yes crashes of airplanes occurred at any mistake of pilot but of course a strong protocol for such airline to provide strict quality control.

I've traveled way back from Philippines to Saudi Arabia before vice versa many times so just pray and enjoy the travel time, you will realize that many passengers are clapping there hands because of their arrival went safely which is a priceless reaction.

L

LabZero

The fact that we are dealing here, but in general that a hacker attack may threaten the aircraft safety is quite disturbing .

According to my logic a hacker can take control only if there are vulnerabilities in computer systems. Then it is shown that there are unresolved vulnerability but airlines companies say that their aircrafts are the most secure in the world .... please ....

Last edited by a moderator:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
@OokamiCreed : Well I understand your feeling about the possibility of those situation, but you need a faith + optimistic and choose a reliable airlines to go on a place you want. Yes crashes of airplanes occurred at any mistake of pilot but of course a strong protocol for such airline to provide strict quality control.

I've traveled way back from Philippines to Saudi Arabia before vice versa many times so just pray and enjoy the travel time, you will realize that many passengers are clapping there hands because of their arrival went safely which is a priceless reaction.

Fair enough for the normal everyday person but still not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.