Privacy News Hackers Guess PINs from the Way You Tilt Your Smartphone

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
When it comes to guessing keystrokes from user behavior, telltale signs can say volumes. Researchers at Newcastle University have managed to guess a four-digit PIN on a smartphone using information about the way the phone is tilted.

And it’s not a lucky guess, either: They correctly identified the PIN with 70% accuracy for first attempt, and 100% accuracy by the fifth attempt.

The hack has to do with the fact that many sensors on a modern smartphone will share seemingly benign information—such as the gyroscope sharing the directional orientation of a device—with websites and apps without needing user permission.

In total, the computer science team identified 25 different sensors which now come as standard on most smart devices and are used to give different information about the device and its user. Only a small number of these—such as the camera and GPS—ask the user’s permission to access the device.

“Most smartphones, tablets and other wearables are now equipped with a multitude of sensors, from the well-known GPS, camera and microphone to instruments such as the gyroscope, proximity, NFC and rotation sensors and accelerometer,” said Maryam Mehrnezhad, a research fellow in the School of Computing Science at Newcastle and lead author on the paper detailing the findings.

Read More. Hackers Guess PINs from the Way You Tilt Your Smartphone

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Cool share Sir Froggy. Not my problem as you may know already as i am loyal my 3310 orig :p But, this is life will goes on. Everytime workers got some "bulletproof" shield anything, there's always the "guys who know how to overhelm it". :oops: just will be continued...again,again.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Cool share Sir Froggy. Not my problem as you may know already as i am loyal my 3310 orig :p But, this is life will goes on. Everytime workers got some "bulletproof" shield anything, there's always the "guys who know how to overhelm it". :oops: just will be continued...again,again.
Very good point my friend, btw your 3310 is bomb proof! :p;):cool:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
A new way hackers can get into your phone, even though you have it protected by PINs and passwords is by spying on the motion sensors in your device.

According to a team of cyber researchers from the British Newscastle University, it's quite easy to steal a four-digit PIN by analyzing the way you tilt your phone and the way it moves as you type.

As they were testing things out to prove this theory, they were able to crack four-digit PINs on the first guess 70% of the time. Even better, or worse, depending how you look at it, 100% of all PINs were guessed by the fifth attempt.

Read more: Hackers Can Figure Out Your Phone's Password by the Way You Tilt the Device

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.